Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Do Nothing

Votes: 2 8.3%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my tank hasn't completed its cycling but I already have Purigen and was curious if I should replace it with the carbon.

I am dosing Flourish, Excel, and I have a DIY Osmocote tab. Is the carbon pulling any of the nutrients from these? My plants aren't dying but they aren't exactly doing much else either. Lighting is the Fluval Edge 21 LED (18 white, 3 blue) and I just bumped up the photo period from 8 to 10 hrs a day.

Would it hurt to swap out to the purigen? I know it's recommended to wait till the tank is cycled but I'm curious. Or should I just pull out the carbon? Or leave it be?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
purigen all the way. Keeps my water crystal clear and doesn't affect ferts. You can use it while cycling and dosing meds without a problem

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it didn't take much to convince me. I was on the fence and almost did it the other day but I decided not to because Seachem's site doesn't recommend it. Though you guys convinced me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey guys I am a newbie just wondering I have fluval 206 so replace all carbon to Purigen which is better?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I think purigen is better but they only last little longer than carbon. Yeah, seachem claims purigen can last for 5 months. Personally, after 2 months, I could already see organic buildup in the tank. They aren't cheap, $11 for a tiny 250ml bottle.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Purigen is magic! I use it in my Fluval 206 for my home 29G. I use to use it in my office tank, until I switched it to a black water set. Purigen is so good at cleaning water it was undoing my efforts to put tannin in my water.

I would use Purigen and carbon. They have some overlap on what the pull from the water, but there's enough difference that it would be good to use both. If you are worried, increase your fertilizer dosing if you're worried carbon pulling some of it out of your water. I feel the claim is that carbon can pull ferts out of the water is way over blown.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think purigen is better but they only last little longer than carbon. Yeah, seachem claims purigen can last for 5 months. Personally, after 2 months, I could already see organic buildup in the tank. They aren't cheap, $11 for a tiny 250ml bottle.
It really depends on the tank and its parameter. Sure if you have a light bio-load and you keep up with maintenance and water changes. It just might last 5 months.

They can be pricey even at the big box pet store like Petco. Atleast compared to what you can get online. I buy my purigen and most dry goods on Petmountain. Great selection, rock-bottom prices, and fast shipping.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You know Purigen is rechargeable, I have to recharge my every 2 -3 months. It pretty easy, you can youtube the how to.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
You know Purigen is rechargeable, I have to recharge my every 2 -3 months. It pretty easy, you can youtube the how to.

I stopped doing that because is not worth the effort and the risk with chlorine contamination. :) Back then, I thought a bottle would last me more than 8 months...:) I say 6 months top. I also do 2 60% WC per week. I really can't see the reasons why I would need any chemical filtration at all. Is nice to have purigen though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive bag for purigen?

Seachem's bag is ridiculously overpriced... and it's way too big for my filter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
PetSmart stores usually carry 2 or 3 different sizes of fine mesh bags - 2 to a bag, which costs around $2. Only problem is that a single bag is not fine enough mesh to contain the minute Purigen beads, so just make sure you use 2 bags, doubled up, and that'll do the job properly. Been using those for years for my Purigen in the 250 ml jar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1 for Purigen I have 2 bags in my 306 and I recharge them every 6 months. Before I did the Purigen thing I ran with no carbon for 6 months and I'll just say that I'll never do that again.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I never used carbon but did just throw a 100ml bag in my canister to see how magical it really is. It's not hurting anything LOL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts