The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have two fixtures that take Coralife Model #2080 FT65W 21" Dual Daylight fluorescent tubes (really two 0.75" diameter by ~19" tubes side-by-side mounted to one plastic base), one by Coralife (single light) and one by JBJ (two lights). I think these fixtures were old when I got them used maybe ten years ago now, and recently I had a hard time finding replacement tubes.

Well I did eventually find a replacement, and thought I'd share the details here. I just received a pair of replacements from Atlanta Light Bulbs (part number FT55DL/865). The invoice description reads "55W CFL 2G11 BASE 6500K DT55/65/RS EIKO 21.1IN LONG DUOTUBE 6,500K COLOR DAYLIGHT." Price was US$9.42 each as of March 19th, 2021. They are indeed EiKO (sic) units, marked "DT55/65/RS" and "EiKO 55 WATT 6500º K DuoTube® Fluorescent Lamp" on the box ends.

Their website is a bit quirky, but I was able to submit the order without too much fuss. However I did have to contact ALB (via email) on April 6th as I hadn't received my order. A service rep responded quickly that the order had been "damaged in shipment," and she resubmitted the order to be shipped on April 13th. I received the box yesterday, very well packed. Popped one into the JBJ fixture and it lit right up, looking a bit bluish compared to the tired old tube next to it.

It might be better to switch to LED fixtures, but perhaps somebody else would like to have a source for new tubes.

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
I have two fixtures that take Coralife Model #2080 FT65W 21" Dual Daylight fluorescent tubes (really two 0.75" diameter by ~19" tubes side-by-side mounted to one plastic base), one by Coralife (single light) and one by JBJ (two lights). I think these fixtures were old when I got them used maybe ten years ago now, and recently I had a hard time finding replacement tubes.

Well I did eventually find a replacement, and thought I'd share the details here. I just received a pair of replacements from Atlanta Light Bulbs (part number FT55DL/865). The invoice description reads "55W CFL 2G11 BASE 6500K DT55/65/RS EIKO 21.1IN LONG DUOTUBE 6,500K COLOR DAYLIGHT." Price was US$9.42 each as of March 19th, 2021. They are indeed EiKO (sic) units, marked "DT55/65/RS" and "EiKO 55 WATT 6500º K DuoTube® Fluorescent Lamp" on the box ends.

Their website is a bit quirky, but I was able to submit the order without too much fuss. However I did have to contact ALB (via email) on April 6th as I hadn't received my order. A service rep responded quickly that the order had been "damaged in shipment," and she resubmitted the order to be shipped on April 13th. I received the box yesterday, very well packed. Popped one into the JBJ fixture and it lit right up, looking a bit bluish compared to the tired old tube next to it.

It might be better to switch to LED fixtures, but perhaps somebody else would like to have a source for new tubes.
Yes there is the square pin and the straight pin types. Square one is hard to find and, sadly, also used in some Coralife fixtures..

CF has low efficiency and shorter lifespans than normal flourescent tubes.
I'd call it one of the few dead end tech lights nowadays.
DT55/65/RS - 4 Pin 2G11 Base - 6500K - 55 Watt - CFL - Eiko 49312 | 1000Bulbs.com

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just switch, for a tank your size the LED fixture won't cost that much. When it gets in to the 48"+ then it becomes pricey. The advantages of LED lights is that the spectrum doesn't shift with age (at least from what I read the premium ones). Fluorescent tubes shift somewhere around 6 months (can't recall and ballparking it)? LEDs also run cooler and uses less electricity.

*Only realizes now this is a very old thread. 😐

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.