The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
My trusty 36" (36" bulbs) Aqueon dual bulb light just died. I fear it's the ballast which I've heard is not serviceable.
Aqueon no longer makes this item. As they just told me on the phone, they recommend an LED version. The problem with that is I just bought two new 30" T8's last month that I have no other use for.
This is on a 65 gallon (25" high) freshwater community, planted tank.
So best for me would be another T8 fluorescent fixture I could use these bulbs in, but I'm having no luck finding one. I haven't been on Craigslist yet though. Does anyone know of a fixture like the Aqueon?
A second option: The tank also has a 36" Finnex Planted+ CC and I might consider another ($$$!) and wonder if two would be adequate. One doesn't seem so.

(edit to correct bulb length to 36")

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have you tried the bay of E to get another Aqueon unit? T8’s are old technology but I can understand wanting to stick with what you know. If you can’t find a replacement second hand, the Finnex is a good cheap option. With a deep tank like that id definitely get two units.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried the bay of E to get another Aqueon unit? T8’s are old technology but I can understand wanting to stick with what you know. If you can’t find a replacement second hand, the Finnex is a good cheap option. With a deep tank like that id definitely get two units.
Not just what I know, what I just paid US$40 for bulbs for not a month ago!
But yeah, I'll get there. I've liked the Finnex light pretty much, but I wish they'd rethink the controls.
Tx for the reply.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, y'know I saw that last night and wondered the same thing, what's the "EconoSuperStore"? At that time it wasn't clear to me that Aqueon had discontinued my model so I held off. Now having confirmed that over the phone today I might spring for it. Meantime I've worked up the proposal for the Finance Committee (aka, my wife) to get another Finnex too.
The fluorescents might be good yet for some indoor gardening, or a full spectrum shop light...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.