The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of low tech tanks (10 gallon at work and 3 gallons at my father's house) which have gravel as a substrate. The plants are low light, simple plants (java fern, Cabomba, crypts, moss, and water sprite). I've been toying with the idea of switching out hte substrate because the LFS is having a Boxing week sale and there is a good deal on Florabase, Eco-compete and Fluorite.

Do you think it's worth the hassle, since I don't have any heavy root feeders? And if it's worth it, should I replace teh whole substrate, or just add some Fluorite?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Since they are not root feeders, maybe just add some extra around their roots. But if you ever want to add some crypts and such, go for the flourite. At least my Crinum calemestratum loves the stuff - but its a CO2 enriched tank. Of course it gets a Seachem root tab too - every couple of months. But I believe one needs CO2 acids for flourite to really do its stuff, so maybe, only if you plan on putting gas on some of them in the future??

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that makes sense. Darn, I should have gotten that bag of fluorite on sale last week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts