The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I picked up some Repashy Shrimp Souffle, mixed up a bit, put some in the freezer for later. My intention here was to give the ole Sakura shrimp a treat from time to time. My issue is as follows: the stuff floats! maybe I have too much circulation, I dunno, but when I put it in the tank to feed in a small cube I formed up, it floats up and away....so, the shrimp miss out.....

Ive tried putting it in frozen....of course that floats. Gelled (as in, just made), floats.....so, what do you folks do? how do you present it so it doesnt go traveling all over the tank?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Spread it on a small rock with a rough surface (so it sticks) or other item with rough surface while its hot and let cool. Then place in tank. Remove rock when the food is gone or leave for decoration.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
thanks! I'll give it a shot tonight
I typed that out pretty fast as I was at work and thought I would elaborate for you. I make mine according to directions and after it cools cut it into cubes. Then I freeze the cubes. When I am ready to feed I place a cube or two in a small microwave safe dish along with just a dab of distilled water and I heat until it thins out again. Then I spoon it onto the rock, I use a small sandstone rock because the surface is rough, and let it set back up. I let it cool for awhile then place it in the tank. Voila food doesnt float and it is actually a quite natural way to deliver it.

@Lousyweather I was wondering how that worked for you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually, Ive now played with it a bit. I mixed up a batch, spread it on a plate, and froze it. I would do it on cellophane in the future....easier to break it off. Prior to feeding, I break a bit off, put it in a dish. I spread it on a smooth rock at first, but yea, once it gets in the water it just flakes off and floats about. I now use rougher rocks, with clean breaks....seems to hold the food better, the shrimp cant run off with it, and the otos and pygmy cories can pick at it. We have no sandstone here, so, an using locally-occurring granite. I dont leave it in, and try to remember to pull it out when they finish.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The rougher rocks work better and keeps it from flaking. Plus it helps to get it on when it is good and hot. If it cools down it doesnt stick well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you adding it in directly from the freezer or are you thawing it first ? If its still frozen it will float like an ice cube due to the water content. Of course the size of the piece you are putting in will make a difference. Ive also found that after storing premade cubes in the freezer, they tend to get a bit dry and carboardy after a week or so and then tend to float a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.