The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AquaTek "Premium" regulator that is about a year and a half old, and I've had solenoid issues since the warranty expired, which was weak to begin with. Aquatek doesn't offer any repair options outside of the warranty so I might just fix it myself.

As far as the solenoid issues go, it works, but only after i unplug and re plug it in a few times, so I want to just replace the solenoid all together. Does anyone know of any solenoid models that would work to replace this? I would normally just buy a new regulator, but I don't really wanna spend $200+ if I can fix this one. Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I might guess that the reg itself is still holding the pressure steady and so it is good to use. Regs have a pretty simple job to cut the pressure down and hold it steady. If you reg does that I recommend changing out the faulty parts only. For a really good solenoid, I like the Clippard Mouse series but there are tons of options from there. I use a simple single stage reg (beer reg?) and tie it to quality parts for solenoid and needle valves as I feel they are where I get my finer control.
In the way I use them, I like to have two items, the reg and solenoid on the tank and then the rest remote on airline tubing. This seems to have the advantage of less weight hanging on the tank and where I'm prone to breaking a fitting when changing out tanks. I like to lay it all back out of harm's way when changing out the bulky, awkward tank.
Different methods for different folks but this fits what I like.

Reg to Clippard, down before coming back up to the Fabco needle valve and then down to the cheap plastic Fluval bubble counter. I like the Fluval for ease of refilling when the CO2 dries it out. Cheap tubing and longer runs make the water stay out of things longer when/if the check valve begins to fail.
Note that there are hundreds of different varieties of the Clippard so study carefully before doing this as some work for us and some can be a complete bust but I get my Clippards off the auction site for under $20. In your case I would continue to use the needle valve if it is not a problem to you yet.
Deferred spending is a good way to save money in many cases.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts