The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 48” x 24” x 18” terrarium built with tempered glass. The rear viewing pane is completely broken. Is it possible to salvage this terrarium? I was wondering if I could have a piece of non-tempered glass cut to fit and then install a new pane myself. I’ve heard of people resealing aquariums. Can a new pane be installed? Or is this a lost cause? I called my local Fish Gallery aquarium shop here in Dallas if they repair aquariums…they said, “no”. Thoughts? Suggestions? Should I just toss it out?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get an identical sized aquarium. Stick it on so that both aquarium/terrarium are sharing the same pane. Set up a freshwater tank side by side with your terrarium. You’re welcome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d like to just replace the broken pane and have the tank resealed so that it can hold water. Is this even possible?
I was inquiring specifically about replacing the pane with non-tempered glass so that it can be drilled for an overflow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible. Just get a pane thick enough (for the type of glass it is) and glue/silicone it in there. Make sure to clean out all the old bits of silicone /seal and etc first. If possible have the new pane cut to fit as the “outside” pane.. that way the three other panes can attach to it and if it is cut slightly too large or slightly undersized, there won’t be gaps to fill in. Do you ha e a pic of the tank? Might make visualizing much easier

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.