The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well instead of buy a xp2 I bought a xp3 for a 10 gallon... I setup the filter and check every thing if their was any air inside the canister. I know its a lot of power for a 10 gallon but its doesn't look strong at all I mean its blowing my fish around but its not blowing my gravel.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using a spray bar and this is my first time owning a canister filter and don't know much about canister flow. I place the bar horizontal, the intake is sucking very hard and the exhaust not so much if I put the spray bar. But with out the bar and the powerjet it blows hard. Am I just crazy??

·
Registered
974 Posts
That is because the spray bar divides the flow power through the holes across the bar. Therefore there is less flow per "hole".

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard that the xp3 would blow like a river in a ten gallon tank... My xp3 is not blowing like that....

·
Registered
375 Posts
You do know there is an adjustment valve that you can turn up or down that will allow how much flow you can have.

In my book, it's page 15 that gives you 8 different diagrams to follow. If you used part D you can crank it up to full flow! Sounds like you have the flow regulator turned way down.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
an xp3 on a 10g is just plain crazy unless you want a river tank... it blows like a hurricane in my 75g. You can regulate the flow to real low with part D, but then what is the point in the larger unit? just wasting energy.

I just bought an XP1 for my 20g and the current is a bit stronger than I'd like...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ok I'm interested in knowing how to make it flow like a rocket to. mine sucks ass. I always have to clean it to keep it flowing even remotely fast and I don't have any of the attachments on it falls into the tank to put more air in. if I don't let it fall my discus and other fish gasp for air at the top.

Now is it the piece of plastic that has the nob to twist to allow more water to flow? or is there a thing inside the box where all the water goes that allows it to flow more?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well buying a xp3 is an investment for me because I am not planing to buy a new filter every time I upgrade, thats why I buying the xp3 plus it cheap with the discount code. I am planing to return it tomorrow because it didn't came with an manual book.

Jet nozzle will blow everything out of your ten gallon. I have an xp3 on a 150
and I turn it way down. Good luck Iron eagle
Thanks I'll need it!!! LOL :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Haha, it would work to clip a few impeller blades off -- CAREFULLY, if you do, make sure the sides are even and it is balanced.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Way too much for a 10, absolutely. But when you get a 55 or 75 gallon, you're good to go.

Achitech1, are you keeping your foams nice and clean once a month or more? Because that is the only thing that will quickly slow the flow on an XP3, unless you have clogs/pinches in the lines, too many peripherals like reactors or Hydor heaters, or a defective unit.

·
Registered
449 Posts
ROFL a XP3 for a 10 gallon! HAHAHAH

Absolutely! Talk about OVERKILL! :icon_eek: Sorry, this is just too funny!

Finch_man,
What type of fish are you keeping that you think they'll be happy to have you be "blowing my fish around" ? :fish: Just curious?

I'm using a XP1 on my 35g hex tank. I have to aim the spraybar at the glass to prevent my plants from blowing around too much. Especially as the plants look much better growing straight up & down; and not at a diagonal in a wind storm.

Usually if you're trying to create a river tank you need a tank with extra length, ie., 3ft or 4ft. I think the smallest you could get by with would be maybe a 20 gallon long (30"L x 12"w x 12"T). Then you would place the spray bar on the short 12" side and have it blow down the 30" length. I don't even know how you were able to fit the spray bar inside a ten gallon!!???? Certainly not on the short side to flow down the 20" length. On my XP1 the spraybar assembly w/ just the elbow fitting is 13" long. IF you wanted to make a river you'd HAVE to very carefully cut and shorten the spraybar. Don't cut at the top, you need the clips to attatch it, and you'd have to make a new cap to seal back the bottom end.

It's a lot of work, are you certain your fish really need excessive current? Perhaps with the exception of a Hillstream Loach, I can't think of any fish which would be small enough to keep in a 10 gallons that would not live happily with more normal levels of flow.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
put the power jet on and attack the spray bar to that. in my 75 it was whipping it around like a hurricane. i had to turn the jet nossle down to alittle less then half way so the fish could actually swim

·
Registered
974 Posts
He probably just wanted the versatility of a canister filter...
Clip the impeller blades carefully if you need to...
Or... Take a somewhat thick rubberband (ones used to tie Petco fish bags) and pull it around the impeller blades... I tested it on a Hagen AquaClear 30 powerhead, works fine.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What type of fish are you keeping that you think they'll be happy to have you be "blowing my fish around" ?
I have a pair of the coolest fish ever!!! Ever heard of glofish?? Their zebra Danio fish but glo I have the pink kind...

They love the current, I don't know about you guys but if you call that current its nothing to me... I mean I thought the flow was going to be a lot harder.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Consider this - XP3s are rated for what? 350 GPH?

So you have 35-times the tank volume turnover an hour...that is truly amazing.

For me to do that with my 90 gallon, I would need 9 XP3s to do so...and I know the water turmoil in the tank would be hell on my fish.

Not saying you are doing anything wrong, just pointing out the numbers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts