The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had this for almost a year and had the xp3 for a couple years. i cleaned it out like normal got to the prime and the water wont fill into the cannister. ive took it all apart started over nothing. what am i missing??

·
Registered
722 Posts
You shouldn't lose the prime unless the water level in the tank falls below the intake. About the only time this happens to me is when a section of the intake tube gets loosened when I take the screen on the bottom off to clean and separate the tube up higher somewhere. I usually just dump water in at the prime cap and it takes off when I plug it in. They will air lock sometimes and removing and re-installing the quick-connect valve on top of the filter clears it up. Once in a while the impeller on the filter will lock up on restart and either turning it on and off a couple times or cycling the quick-connect gets it going.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If the Filstars still have the intake in little sections (mine are all rather old), I have had them loosen and allow air in, which messes with the prime.

Here are some tricks that work for me:
1) Use a pump (power head, fountain pump) and pump water in through the intake. When it is pouring out through the outlet, plug in the filter. Make sure it runs. CAUTION!!! If the pump won't send the water in this way then there is a blockage somewhere. I broke one of these filters when this happened. If the water won't flow, stop pumping immediately, and look for the problem.

2) With the filter plugged in, remove the outlet from the tank, hold it as low as you can (hopefully as low as the filter) and over a bucket. Water should start flowing out. Then lift the outlet back up. Yes, it can get messy, I do this in a greenhouse, where water on the floor is not a problem. Maybe you can start the flow, then unplug the filter long enough to lift the outlet back into place.

3) Create suction on the outlet, pulling water through the filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.