The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You mean like the Eheim classics where you just dump everything in?

I didn't think the baskets take up that much space. Mabye 3 - 5% of the whole filter? If you didn't put in the baskets, maintenance would be a bit of a chore, because you'd have to dump the entire thing out to clean it, no? You can get around it with bags, but then you are not filling all the leftover space, are you?

If you need more space, maybe try an XP4? What are you trying to fit in there? More bio media?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I think the water flow for the filter goes around the outside of the media baskets, and then up from the grate on the bottom most basket. This is my guess, since your supposed to use larger ppi pads as you get closer to the impeller.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some interesting ideas... but, i recently took the media baskets out of my eheim ecco, and added more foam and purigen. so, the media is not in any basket, and i see no problems.

is there something that would make the filstar media baskets mandatory? cause they are NOT in my eheim ecco.

i see there are two ports for water in and out, but, do the baskets really make any difference?? do they actually effect the flow of water? or are they just there to make maintenance easier?

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anthony hit the nail on its famous head. You can not take out the baskets and fill the canister with stuff. There is no way the water will go all the way down to the bottom of the canister, it will just circulate at the very top of the filter.
hmm.. do you think that would apply to my eheim as well?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I'm interested also as my XP3 will be delivered today and I'm looking to use it primarily for polishing the water. I've never tried using JUST filter floss, although from what Anthony and Wasserpest are saying, maybe it isn't such a good idea. Can you just jam pack it with a lot of filter floss, leaving the baskets in there? Sure the gph would suffer, but maybe that won't matter much.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The micron filter for the filstars will clog fast also. Maybe buy a pack of the filter sheets and cut them to size. Also a thumbs up on the purigen. I have always seen an overnight difference in water clarity, even over the micron filter, with using purigen. Call me a worry-wart though, even though they say it's safe I feel a little uneasy by the whole recharging process of purigen. I'd much rather just replace it every 2 or 3 months.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The micron filter for the filstars will clog fast also. Maybe buy a pack of the filter sheets and cut them to size. Also a thumbs up on the purigen. I have always seen an overnight difference in water clarity, even over the micron filter, with using purigen. Call me a worry-wart though, even though they say it's safe I feel a little uneasy by the whole recharging process of purigen. I'd much rather just replace it every 2 or 3 months.
I'll take the used stuff if you just throw it out.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Alright. I'll let you know next time I change it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Anthony hit the nail on its famous head. You can not take out the baskets and fill the canister with stuff. There is no way the water will go all the way down to the bottom of the canister, it will just circulate at the very top of the filter.
hmm.. do you think that would apply to my eheim as well?
Yes, the same applies to Eheim canisters also. I'm assuming that all other canister filters would apply also, UNLESS the intake is on top, while the outlet is on the bottom or visa versa. That is the only way the water will flow through the media without the baskets.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Hmm, well, I think the Rena's come with one sponge pad and one micron pad, so I should be ok. Maybe I'll take the filter floss out of my Eheim, though, if you think its worthless. I generally rinse out my filter pads every couple months or so. Generally, this means replacing the pad entirely, although I leave some mulm at the bottom so bacteria isn't wiped out...

ryan, filter floss clogs too fast to be very effective over the long term.

try finding reticulated foam, it works better longer without clogging as fast.

for polishing, use a purigen bag in the filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts