The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had an aquarium for several years and am planning to start up one again. I have a RENA Filstar XP2 that has not been used during this time. My questions are: Will new seals and hoses be necessary? When looking on-line for media, it seems this filter is not as popular as it used to be. Should I just plan on getting a new filter? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I don't think they make that filter anymore. I would lube the seals and run it. As far as media anything will do. I have one with just foam and matrix

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I will try it before purchasing something new. Would Vaseline be good to lube the seal?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have read that Vaseline can be used , but I use pure silicone grease . I get it from a dive shop near me .

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have not had an aquarium for several years and am planning to start up one again. I have a RENA Filstar XP2 that has not been used during this time. My questions are: Will new seals and hoses be necessary? When looking on-line for media, it seems this filter is not as popular as it used to be. Should I just plan on getting a new filter? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Rena Filstar filters are no longer made but, more importantly, the o-ring seal replacement kits are not available anywhere. Vaseline is good on the seals as is any water based silicone.

As for biomedia, the below link is quite interesting and it's hard to go wrong with plastic pot scrubbers.

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/7-filter-media/

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts