The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is my first post at this site, and I must say it is extremely helpful!!! Anyway, I have searched and searched and have read of 20 gallon tanks with an Xp1 and others with the Xp2, and am not sure which to buy.

The tank is a 20 gallon long and will be planted housing 2 Steatocranus casuarius( lion head cichlids) with a few shrimp and maybe a school of tetras. I was leaning more to the Xp2 because petsmart is having a sale and I like the idea of more media.

Overkill?

Any sugestions?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I say go for the xp3 thats what I have for a 10 gallon and its pretty cool. The current is not so bad and its a good investment if your going to upgrade in the future...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
LOL I still have to laugh at your XP3 on a 10 gal.

Seriously a XP1 is more then enough for a 20 gallon. And Xp2 is much. But if there are upgrades in tank sizes planned then yeah go one step up. with the xp2 and use the output adjustment to tone it down some.

·
Registered
974 Posts
xP2. More flow (there is flow control on all models), more media baskets,... that means you can put more "stuff" into the filter.
Finch man, some people use xP3's on large 75 gallon tanks... I can't believe you stuck it on a ten gallon tank... Are you sure it is a ten gallon? Or is it much larger but someone/the tag/the label told you it was 10 gallons?

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
forget the Rena filters. Get a real filter. Buy an eheim.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the help!

I think i'm going to go for the Xp2:)
If anyone is planning on doing the same, there is a discount that is printable for $15 of xp1 and xp2 and $30 of xp3 and xp4 at petsmart.com!

fishfanatic: I would buy an Eheim, but then I would not be able to buy anything else! Those prices are for the crazy, rich, and stupid!!! Lol

ps: An Xp3 on a ten gallon! that's the way to go!:thumbsup:
I may have to put one on my ten gallon and see for myself!

Oh and let me run my future setup by you guys:
Xp2 Rena Filstar
1/2 flourite 1/2 moon sand
72 watt lighting
And DIY Co2

Anything missing???

·
Banned
560 Posts

If anyone is planning on doing the same, there is a discount that is printable for $15 of xp1 and xp2 and $30 of xp3 and xp4 at petsmart.com!

fishfanatic: I would buy an Eheim, but then I would not be able to buy anything else! Those prices are for the crazy, rich, and stupid!!! Lol

ps: An Xp3 on a ten gallon! that's the way to go!:thumbsup:
I may have to put one on my ten gallon and see for myself!

Oh and let me run my future setup by you guys:
Xp2 Rena Filstar
1/2 flourite 1/2 moon sand
72 watt lighting
And DIY Co2

Anything missing???
Ok so petsmart is advertising on this website:thumbsdown:
talk about force selling. This is just insane. I have 3 tanks with NO filter at all and my shrimp are breeding like crazy. PLANTS are all the filter you need IMO.
This person is NUTS!!!! This filter on a ten would be like putting your fish in a blender. Ok so I posted a Negative post for once. I feel justified in doing so in this case.

·
Registered
974 Posts
A Heater...

For a twenty gallon tank, you could use an internal heater or an inline heater to go with your canister.

And yes, an xP3 on a ten gallon is indeed putting a fish in a blender... without the harmful blades exposed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr.Thomaswalls: That is a very interesting philosophy! The idea of no filter! But first one must create a very advanced ecological system. I wonder if this can be done with keeping fish and what must be done to accomplish such a thing besides plant growth. I will certainly have to try this with my ten gallon once it's free'd up.

Oh, and yes I have a tiny heater, but luckily my fish don't need any special temperature that my house can't offer! (yeah, im cheap:icon_redf )

·
Registered
386 Posts
This person is NUTS!!!! This filter on a ten would be like putting your fish in a blender. Ok so I posted a Negative post for once. I feel justified in doing so in this case.
FYI I am not crazy!! Just help me put up a video of my fish tank and I'll prove you wrong Mr.ThomasWalls.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, any advice on which lighting "hood" would look good around $70?

·
Banned
560 Posts
Mr.Thomaswalls: That is a very interesting philosophy! The idea of no filter! But first one must create a very advanced ecological system. I wonder if this can be done with keeping fish and what must be done to accomplish such a thing besides plant growth. I will certainly have to try this with my ten gallon once it's free'd up.

Oh, and yes I have a tiny heater, but luckily my fish don't need any special temperature that my house can't offer! (yeah, im cheap:icon_redf )
I have endlers breeding like cockroaches in one of those 3 tanks I talked about. A 10 with NO filter at all. Lots of plants and light is all one needs. Have you ever heard of a ecosystem? Do it right and you don't need a filter. All a filter is for is make water movement which is not needed in all set-ups. You may come by and see my tanks for yourself. Try it if you think you are good enough to make it work. It's easy for me to do.:icon_roll

·
Banned
560 Posts
FYI I am not crazy!! Just help me put up a video of my fish tank and I'll prove you wrong Mr.ThomasWalls.
I think you are in this case.:thumbsup: Send me the video and I will post it. Send me a pm for my address. I would love to be proven wrong....I doubt it will happen in this case however.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I don't doubt that you have one on the tank. Just I wonder do you have any plants in that tank? How on earth do they stay rooted with such current.
I once put a emp 280 on my 10gal and the flow was so much that the poor fish had to hide to get out of the current. there was no way I could imagine keeping plants in the thing.

Considering that the primary ideal of this fourm is to keep plants in these tanks offering the suggestion to put a filter with such great flow on a tank so small does really seem outlandash. And turning the thing down so much that it defeats the purpose of having such a large filter in the first place. is just as pointless. why spend the extra for such a large filter when something smaller and cheaper would still be more then enough.
I have a xp1 on my 20L. With the flow on full blast or even half I'm either blowing my gravel all over the place or I'm outgassing all my CO2 by creating stupid amounts of surface agatation. I've even put filter pad in the spray bar to hinder the return flow. So I can't imagine how feasable an XP3 on a 10 gallon could be in a planted enviroment.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts

The classic eheims are very close in price to the rena's.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i picked up a classic 2213 for 67.99 at dr fosters when it was one sale and it still is. it's a great filter really easy to setup and very little maintenance

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
i picked up a classic 2213 for 67.99 at dr fosters when it was one sale and it still is. it's a great filter really easy to setup and very little maintenance
Petsmart.com has them for $69 (2213) with free shipping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts