The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what this is for? and could I plug some diy co2 into it. this is all new to me.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Hi bartak, welcome to the Planted Tank!

The venturi air intake is mainly for fish-only tanks (no plants), where you can use it to blow little air bubbles all over the tank. There is this fascination with air bubbles in "fish tanks", so instead of using an airpump, the filter can be used.

You could plug some CO2 into it, but

1) Efficiency of dissolving the CO2 will not be very good, the bubbles will get smashed up somewhat, but rise to the surface too quickly.

2) There will be some suction on this, so if you use a collapsible bottle for the DIY CO2 it might end up sucking the solution into your tank. Make sure you use a glass bottle or strong plastic bottle if you want to go that way.

My recommendation for dissolving DIY CO2 would be a Hagen/Nutrafin "ladder", where the bubbles go up on a staircase and dissolve on their way. If you direct the flow towards this ladder, CO2 gets distributed throughout the tank. Advantages -- there is no back pressure or suction, and a good visibility of the output, which is important with DIY CO2.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I concur. The ladder is the way to go for a beginning. It's safe and easy. That's how I started. Then I went to diffusors. And pressurized. And solenoids and timers, CO2 safe tubing, brass check valves, etc. etc. Welcome to the money pit. :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think It would be a good idea but It never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used the ladder but...

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think It would be a good idea but It never hurts to ask.
For very cheap I just built a DIY venturi reactor for CO2 designed by Tom Barr and it works MUCH better. Took me 20 minutes to make and I'm not all that good at DIY stuff. Check out my posts on the previous thread to this one. I linked to it including a picture. Very easy, very cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts