The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an xp2 i believe its graded for 75 gallon, i use it on my 55 gt tank. anyways i bought it like 6-7 months ago and it stopped circulating water the noise seems a bit different than before. I don't know what todo i hope i can receive some guidance or a general direction. would it be worth it to take it apart, do u think its covered by warranty? thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump? No one has any experience with this filter? I'm kind of drawing blank here on what to do. And obviously this forum is to. Did i post in the wring section? Let me know.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm guessing the XP2 is similar enough to the XP3, so if that's the case, then I do have enough experience with it. If ever I notice a decrease in flow, it's usually because of a buildup in debris or a back up in the hoses.

If you are experiencing a complete loss of flow, then the unit didn't prime properly. I would take it apart, make sure the baskets are seated flush, and check the impeller like OS said. Make sure that you put everything back with an empty canister, and let the tank prime the filter. Check out planetrena(.com)'s FAQ section. There's a couple of videos for cleaning/priming.

I love my Rena, but it's not without it's little quirks. Good luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats reassuring. There is minimal flow enough pressure to build up water and slowly seep out of the the pipe. I will take it apart ad flush the gaskets as stated above. THANK YOU to all for helping I didn't want to take it apart and void something so I thought I'd run it by you guys.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oh, and something I realized only recently: if you have a snake you use for your tub drain, you can use a little bit of paper towel and push it through the entire tube with it. Didn't dawn on me till had it out while I was cleaning my filter. :p

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do I clean it. Just clear all the tubes. An intake out take. I was thinking the motor in the lid my be screwed. How do I check the impeller

·
Are these real?
15,714 Posts
There is a plastic cap in the center of the motor housing. You rotate that a little and it will come out. There you see the impeller (looks like a thing with fan blades). Pull it out. Don't lose the impeller shaft (ceramic stick). Take a little brush and clean the impeller blades, the shaft, the magnet, and the impeller housing. Also the various holes where the water passes through. A small flexible brush with stiff bristles works best. When assembling, make sure the impeller shaft sits well inside the grommet.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The only time mine shows a measured loss of flow is if something gets stuck in the input side right at the pump head. But I have a surface skimmer on one of the filters and that makes it more likely to happen. Even an occasional small-medium fish.

·
Registered
265 Posts
As jayjigga stated, go to planetrena.com.
The FAQ section will help you maintain your XP2.
And they sell parts for the ZP series.
I also am happy with mine.
It's so quiet that I can only hear it pumping late at night when everything is off.
I do take it completely apart and clean it monthly.
Rinse and squeeze the sponges in old tank water. I run a wire through the hoses and pull a clean rag through to clean out the gunk.
Charles

1 - 18 of 18 Posts