The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Try straight vinegar. Another method that I read about was to use fabric softener sheets. Wet one and start wiping. Haven't tried the last one, but vinegar cleans just about anything off glass and it is safe around fish tanks. Can't hurt to try it!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Oil and vinegar don't mix. You know the saying.

If this is on the outside, dampen a clean rag with odorless turpenoid and wipe clean.
Wear gloves.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about vinegar, but figured the same thing Mr green said, that it might not end well...Im gonna try it anyways, but after the dryer sheet trick..

This 5.5 is where all my baby snails are, and id rather not use any serious chemicals, even on the outside!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Let us know how that works out. The only oil-cutting thing I can think of would be Dawn, since, you know, it's made to cut grease and such. I know detergents+fishtanks=no, but if you need to, and if it's rinsed well enough...?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the tank is acrylic terpenoids like acetone could cause a permanent haze. On glass it maybe okay for the glass but not the aquatic life. I would try lemons or oranges before I resorted to a solvent. I have alway cleaned all my aquariums with baking soda and warm water rinse well never had any problems. Some things take a little more elbow grease but I haven't found anything that would beat it. Let us know what works.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If the tank is acrylic terpenoids like acetone could cause a permanent haze. On glass it maybe okay for the glass but not the aquatic life. I would try lemons or oranges before I resorted to a solvent. I have alway cleaned all my aquariums with baking soda and warm water rinse well never had any problems. Some things take a little more elbow grease but I haven't found anything that would beat it. Let us know what works.
I hadn't considered baking soda, actually. I'd be a little afraid of it scratching, though?

·
Registered
939 Posts
The tank is glass, isopropyl alcohol and acetone are aquarium safe, just don't dump the container in the tank. I dissolve some medications in acetone and add directly to the water. I definitely would not use baking soda.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have always been amazed at how well newspaper gets glass clean. Give a light mist of whatever you would like to use to clean glass, I use vinegar, and wad up some newspaper and rub. Keep turning it to get a fresh patch against the glass, it works great.

I learned that from a friend who worked at a big research aquarium.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'd try to get the bulk of it off with paper towels, rags, and newspaper.

If you are patient and determined, you can get quite a bit off just by scrubbing with a good, clean, dry rag.

Maybe try some ammonia if you have it - I believe that is supposed to help with grease, and it's a pretty common additive to a lot of glass cleaners.

Also, since it's on the outside of the tank, you could probably use pretty much anything, just make sure to apply the cleaner to the rag, and be careful when cleaning near the top edge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts