The Planted Tank Forum banner

Removing tannins from aquarium wood

895 3
What methods are there to remove tannins from wood other then boiling it?
my wood is too big to be chucked in a pot of boiling water, so instead have it in a bucket and have been filling it with boiling water from the stove. I’ve been doing this for a month now and it’s a time consuming process (and I’m covered in steam burns from constantly pouring pots of boiling water in!), I know patience is key but I’m losing my patience! It has improved slightly, but not enough for me to put it in the tank. I know tannins aren’t harmful to my tank, I just personally would like to keep my water crystal clear. I have chemi pure (a type of purigen) in my filter which I know can combat those tannins but I’m really wanting most of them out before I think about putting it in my tank. So does anyone have any life hacks for it, aside from boiling?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Leaving it soaking and doing water changes. That's about it sadly. Boiling works amazingly well otherwise its just waiting for them all to be gone which can take a while depending on whatever type of wood it really was (not like all imported driftwood came from the same type of tree).

·
Registered
608 Posts
I had a piece that was to big to boil and I left it soaking in a spare tank for a few weeks with a heater cranked and power head for water movement. Not sure if the heater and power head did much but i didn't have a ton of tannins leach once it went in the main tank. Purigen took rid of the little that did.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6g office nano, 20g cube, 29g cherry shrimp, 2 x 40g breeder community and 75g in the works
784 Posts
I also just used a clean plastic bin to soak the piece in for a few weeks changing the water as often as I could using hot water (with a hose) from a basement deep sink.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.