The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been some tannin buildup in my 75g moss tank, and I was wondering what is the best way to get rid of it. I have Activated carbon, but I hear its bad for the moss? Currently, I'm changing about 2-3 l of water per day, hoping that eventually my water changes will overcome the tannin.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm assuming that the tannins are leaching from driftwood. You can either remove the offending piece and soak it in a bucket until the tannins stop leaching, Or keep up with the water changes. Eventually the tannins will decrease to the point you don't notice it anymore. (this is assuming the DW is covered in moss and boiling is not an option)

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I don't think activated carbon is bad for moss. It DOES soak up a negligible amount of nutrients from the water column, but I wouldn't worry about that.

If you can get your hands on some Purigen from SeaChem, do so. It was instrumental in helping me clear my tannins along with a good bag of activated carbon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. The driftwood is covered with moss, so boiling is not an option. Guess I'll use AC and keep up with water changes, unless someone has anything to add about AC.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
blueguppygirl: The activated carbon will lose it's effectiveness after 2-3 weeks. After that, toss it and don't use anymore. It's a waste of money except for when you have to remove tannins or remove medications from the water.

To remove organics from the water, use Purigen. It's rechargable so it's a better on the wallet. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a really bad tannin issue with some Malaysian Driftwood which was way too large to boil.

After trying AC and failing I tried Purigen. Expensive but your tank will be crystal by the following morning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts