The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Tuesday I'm trading my 55g setup for a 130g saltwater tank:):flick::biggrin::icon_lol::hihi::bounce: The girl has too many tanks and this one hasn't ran for months. Sorry for saying the "S" word here but, no worries, I plan on converting it to a freshwater planted tank. Here's the tank:

By the looks of the equipment, it was NEVER cleaned. I would like to know the best way to get the salt deposits from the equipment, not only for aesthetic purposes, but for the stability of the system once it's changed over to freshwater. Here are some pics:

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fill it with tap and a few gallons of viniegar and let it run for a few days through filtration and all, should wipe right off after thank.

Craig
Thanks craig. In my experience, though, vinegar doesn't work that well with hard water stains. Do you think it would work alright with saltwater deposits? I just got done restoring an old metaframe tank that had about a 4" strip of calcium around it and tried the vinegar and water in it with no results. Then I made a paste of vinegar and baking soda, with no results. Then I went to pure vinegar soaked paper, let that sit overnight, with no results:( I was getting rather frustrated! I ended up having to scrape it all with a razor scraper which took days and rewarded me with LOTS of blistered and sore fingers with callouse's! I did finally get it finished, just as my buyer came to get it. I didn't even get the opportunity to take some pics of it:mad:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lemon juice works well too to clean hard water stains or mineral deposits from glass/equipment.
Thank you, master. Not sure what is going to work but am grateful for the information I can utilize if need be. I know I'm NOT scraping that thing with a scraper!!:help::icon_mrgr I did find a site earlier that claims equal parts of vinegar and alcohol. I will just try everything until I find one that works.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive used CLR when i didnt have the patience for vinegar. just make sure you rinse well.
I, too, have thought about using CLR. Didn't want to use stuff like that in the tank, but I now know that if I rinse it well I will be fine. Thank you, if I get too frustrated with the naturals I will definitely be getting some.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
CLR has detergent in it. Better to go to Home Depot and get a gallon of muriatic (hydrochloric) acid for $8. It's strong and you'll need to follow directions for dilution (although I use it full strength with no issues). Please be careful with your eyes. The stuff won't hurt your skin unless you're the sensitive type, but it can really nail your eyes good. Wear goggles and have a fan in the window to vent fumes or do it outside. If you get the urge to use it on anything metal, research first. Some metals rust right before your eyes on contact. It is harmless on porcelain, plastics, and glass.

It will melt hard water/salt deposits right off. The next thing you'll have to consider is whether the glass has actually been etched over time. That I can't help you with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
That overflow and sump is acrylic. Are you seriously suggesting using a razor blade to remove what is essentially limestone sand mixed with glue from acrylic?
For Glass Tanks, I am recommending it. For the sump, if all you're concerned about is removing it, razor blades will be quicker. As if you won't scratch the crap out of it with any scrubbing method.

I've also used CLR about a dozen times with tanks and never had a problem. Just rinse.

Are you seriously going to get all condescending in here?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Defensive much?

And no, it was a serious question. I don't see how dousing that sump with muriatic acid would take longer than scraping it with a razor blade. You don't scrub with it, period. It isn't CLR. It's much stronger. And about 10X cheaper.

Have you ever used it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.