The Planted Tank Forum banner

Removing rim on 55 gal tank

1164 5
I am going to reseal my 55 gal tank and was wondering if anyone has experience removing the rim... from other posts I have read the tanks had a cross bar support on the top/bottom, my tank does not have that, just a black rim around the exterior.

Would love advice on this and re-sealing as well. The tank I have (I got for free from a friend) was resealed terribly (the sealant want smoothed down on the edges) so Im going to have a fun time scraping it all away :)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
I am going to reseal my 55 gal tank and was wondering if anyone has experience removing the rim... from other posts I have read the tanks had a cross bar support on the top/bottom, my tank does not have that, just a black rim around the exterior.

Would love advice on this and re-sealing as well. The tank I have (I got for free from a friend) was resealed terribly (the sealant want smoothed down on the edges) so Im going to have a fun time scraping it all away :)
first make sure the brace wasn't cut away..
second measure the glass thickness. IF designed as a braceless 55gal the glass will be thick and tank heavier than expected..

As to removing rim.. it's prob just silicon-ed on so razor and care..or something....
Plenty of how to's on it..
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/82608-help-removing-plastic-trim-aquarium.html
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/75674-cracked-viv-repair.html

If yours has a frame, you will have to slice it off first. I would do this with a very thin, flexible, putty knife. I use a flexible putty knife like this to separate windows from the frames. If you use a tin snips to round the end of the knife, it will slide through much easier because the corners won't catch. Pic shows how the tool starts out and how it looks after cutting the corners.
You will have to run the putty knife several times all around the trim. Once it is removed, the rest of the job will go just like mine.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I derimmed several 20 gallon longs a couple summers ago, and I had good success with just using an Olfa utility knife.

I scored the trim about 1/3 from the top and just snapped that part off. With most of the plastic removed, you can bend the blade to cut right up and through the top. After that, you can see the top of the glass which makes it easy to careful cut the silicone away from the trim, and I was then able to pretty much peel the remainder of the trim off.

If you have time, cut away as much silicone as you can and then let it sit for a day or two. The exposed layer of film left will be much easier to remove as it dries out (almost rubs off - use gloves...). I did that a couple of times, then sanded the edges down with various grits if sandpaper. Not perfect, but it works ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I have the rim off and most of the silicone scraped away. I am going to re-seal next week with GE 100% all purpose silicone and add a glass brace to the middle.
Really nervous about everything holding together but we shall see!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.