The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Here is my 65-gallon Aqueon tank with rim removed.

I am using this tank for a riparium setup, so I don't have to worry about the compromised strength from lack of top rim (I think?) the way that I would for a tank filled with water.

Reomving that rim was a 4-hour process involving drill bits, a utility knife and many sharp pieces of mangled hard plastic. I was fortunate that it didn't land me in the ER.
I subsequently learned that the way to do it is with a block plane, shaving the plastic away all around the top outside edge of plastic until the whole thing is divided into two pieces more easily pulled away from the glass.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I subsequently learned that the way to do it is with a block plane, shaving the plastic away all around the top outside edge of plastic until the whole thing is divided into two pieces more easily pulled away from the glass.
hmm.. that's a really good idea, i wonder if my dad has one of these at his house. planning to fill the tank wednesday and let it sit for a couple weeks to make sure there are no leaks, then onto the PITA task of taking the rim off this beast!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts