The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I had a mixture of moss on my dragon stone rocks, and it looked great, sadly, some of it has now started growing underneath my carpeted plants and it's growing like crazy, is there any way to kill it or is the only method to manually remove? It's started to overrun my Cuba.

Sadly removing it is going to rip up a whole lot of plants and disturb quite a bit. Worse case, may pull the tank down and do a new scape, what would kill it from rocks completely?

Appreciate and advice or hep.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Dose Seachem Excel at initial high dosage (2 - 3 ppm Glutaldehyde) daily for a week to 10 days. It’s safe for fish, shrimp and plants except fully aquatic species such as Vals, Hornwort, Subwass, and mosses.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you find a way, let me know. I have it in my hairgrass. Been manually removing it.
Will do!

Dose Seachem Excel at initial high dosage (2 - 3 ppm Glutaldehyde) daily for a week to 10 days. It’s safe for fish, shrimp and plants except fully aquatic species such as Vals, Hornwort, Subwass, and mosses.
Is this safe to do while injecting Co2? I knew Seachem could be used to kill algae, didn't know would kill moss! This is very interesting. Basically 6 capfuls for that period.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Will do!

Is this safe to do while injecting Co2? I knew Seachem could be used to kill algae, didn't know would kill moss! This is very interesting. Basically 6 capfuls for that period.
It’s safe except for non emergent plants that are sensitive to Excel, and this is why it is effective against moss. Injecting CO2 will not change the effectiveness or toxicity of excel.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I personally would just manually remove it using tweezers you'll eventually get it all. Overdosing excel is never a good thing and I doubt it's going to kill it all anyway. BTW moss is not "fully aquatic" It's very capable of growing emersed.
I used to hand remove fugitive mosses for a year with no success. If one cell is left behind, it will return. I happened to overdose excel by accident in treating ich with Seachem paragard which contains Glutaldehyde (excel ingredient) as an ingredient. The glut dosage in Paraguard is even higher than in Excel. After one week of daily dosing Paraguard, all mosses were eliminated as a collateral benefit.

Please don’t pick on the literal meaning of fully aquatic. Algae can be emerged grown too in moist environment. I meant fully aquatic vascular plants in general are sensitive to excel, but there are exceptions.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I used to hand remove fugitive mosses for a year with no success. If one cell is left behind, it will return. I happened to overdose excel by accident in treating ich with Seachem paragard which contains Glutaldehyde (excel ingredient) as an ingredient. The glut dosage in Paraguard is even higher than in Excel. After one week of daily dosing Paraguard, all mosses were eliminated as a collateral benefit.

Please don’t pick on the literal meaning of fully aquatic. Algae can be emerged grown too in moist environment. I meant fully aquatic vascular plants in general are sensitive to excel, but there are exceptions.
You will not kill off moss by double dosing excel. It's always dangerous to livestock to overdose so manually removing is the better option. Moss does not grow fast, it's really not that difficult to remove it during normal routine maintenance which you should be doing anyway.

Fully aquatic means it can't grow emersed. You do not need "a moist environment" to grow moss emersed, no more so than the typical moisture that's in our everyday air indoors. Would you like some examples?

·
Registered
577 Posts
You will not kill off moss by double dosing excel. It's always dangerous to livestock to overdose so manually removing is the better option. Moss does not grow fast, it's really not that difficult to remove it during normal routine maintenance which you should be doing anyway.

Fully aquatic means it can't grow emersed. You do not need "a moist environment" to grow moss emersed, no more so than the typical moisture that's in our everyday air indoors. Would you like some examples?
It’s more than double dosage. It’s 5 times daily dosage per Seachem initial high dosage or 2 ppm glut. Lately, Seachem increased the initial high dosage to 3 ppm. You can only kill moss by dosing 2 to 3 ppm daily for a week or longer. I have done thorough reseach on toxicity tests of glut as compiled below. 2 to 3 ppm is still way below toxic level to fish and shrimp as reported below.

Arguing on the definition of fully aquatic is irrelevant, as I’m just pointing out that non emergence vascular plants such as Vals and Hornwort are in general sensitive to glut. Simple algae and mosses, emergent or not, are also sensitive, and they are not even plants.

Toxicity of glutaraldehyde

96h acute Bluegill sunfish LC50 = 11.2 mg/L
Bluegill sunfish NOEC = 10 mg/L
48h acute Oyster larvae LC50 = 2.1 mg/L
96h acute Green crabs LC50 = 465 mg/L
96h acute Grass shrimp LC50 = 41 mg/L
48h acute Daphnia magna LC50 = 0.35 mg/L
Daphnia magna NOEC = 0.32 mg/L
96h algal growth inhibition Selenastrum capricornutum ILm = 3.9 mg/L
Algal inhibition Selenastrum subcapitata IC50=1 to 1.8 mg/L
96h algal growth inhibition Scenedesmus subspicatus EC50 = 0.9 mg/L
Bacterial inhibition Sewage microbes IC50 = 25-34 mg/L
96h O. mykiss (Trout hatch rate) IC50 = 1.82 mg/L
96h C. dubia (Daphnia reproduction) IC50 = 4.7 mg/L
*EC=Effective concentration; IC=Inhibition concentration; LC=Lethal concentration;
NOEC=No observed effect concentration

1 - 9 of 9 Posts