The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am slowly getting overpopulated with freshwater limpet, I know they aren't as dangerous as Planaria or Hydra in a shrimp tank but it gets extremely annoying seeing them on the glass.

I was wondering what are some was of removing them. Would have a couple Assassin Snails help remove them?

The tank is 10 gallon with an AquaClear filter, plants, Fire Red Cherries and Briggs (will probably move these out).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
i dont think assassin snails are even interested in them at all. these are a big pain to remove. I have to live with them. I hate them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Where do the limpets come from? I haven't had any... I imagine they look like tiny keyhole limpets?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
They'll go away, they breed prolifically for a month then disappear, they dont appreciate the conditions we keep shrimp in

·
Registered
430 Posts
Limpets and Copepods have been thriving in my shrimp tank despite low temps and soft water. They went (mostly) away in one of my other tanks after adding a few nerites. My guess is the neuritis out compete them for food.

·
Banned
943 Posts
If youre talking about those little white things that kinda spring around in a jerky motions then yeah I hate those things.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If youre talking about those little white things that kinda spring around in a jerky motions then yeah I hate those things.
no, those are not limpets. limpets stick on the glass. they're almost flat with hard shell. i rmb reading they're not a type of snails, but they're sort of similar, just a lot harder to remove.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure if they feed on algae because I have a surplus of those. I've been thinking about adding 3 Otos in my invert tank and was wondering if they'd eat them (or at least out compete them for food).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I might have those things too. Do they kind of look like round shrimp that skuttle along the bottom?

I found two huge ones under my moss yesterday - one was mounted on top of the other. I was so grossed out, I tried to fish them out but they were just too fast for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh yeah - I know. I have a few limpets stuck to my glass.

But I also have these weird little bugs I can't identify that crawl around on my substrate and in my moss. They're a little unnerving, partly due to the fact I have no idea what they are.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Please, if anyone has info on how to completely be rid of these that would be amazing!

Crushing them when you see them is not an option, as there are too many tiny babies that are not even visible yet. This is just a constant chore, which I have been doing every single day for months. They're still everywhere.

They're not "harmless" either, as I have read many ppl say. They're ugly, and a nuisance, which is a harm to the aesthetics of my aquarium. :(

I have high grade CRS, so most poisons would probably be out of the question, and any kind of predator would likely eat my shrimp before getting started on the limpets.

Not leaving myself many options, huh? :(

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i love limpets wish i had them again its a personal thing weather to keep them or get rid of them
I bet you didn't have a lot of them though.. they are all over the glass in my tank.

And when you keep rare and delicate miniature plants, the last thing you want to see are these little things all over the leaves :(

1 - 20 of 59 Posts