The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !

I want to remove bolbitis from my 10G (yea, it took over the whole tank). Do you know what kind of root system it develops ? I am wondering how much mess it would be. The rhizome just sits on the substrate, but I am not sure if it sends long roots into the substrate. How bad do you think this is going to be ? I really hope it's root system is not like the one crypts develop - removing an overgrown crypt was a major mess.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
The roots will most likely be long-ish, but nothing like the massive systems of crypts and swords. They are also different from crypt roots in that they are sticky. Bolbitus is built to grip onto driftwood and rocks, so much like java fern it has roots that really dig into the substrate and stick to it. Don't be surprised if the roots come out coated in little pieces of substrate that you have a hard time pulling off. Shouldn't be bad though - a bit dusty but nothing catastrophic :)

A root trim won't hurt your Bolbitus either. For instance, if they come out 6 inches long, you can cut down to 3 inches without any problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts