The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Need to get a new vice grips. My arms are burning..That thing is on tight and the fact there isn't much space between the nipple and gauge makes it even harder. Gauge wont budge either for those who are about to say take the gauge off. when I get this thing off I will be very happy..the shut off valve is staying where it is..The less I have to take off this thing the better.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
They sell small/mini pipe wrenches too you know. if there's no space on the lower end of the nipple just slide the cga 180 down next to the regulator and use the free space for the pipe wrench. Though I must say... taking off fittings is a lot harder with single stage regulators because there's nothing to grab/gain leverage LOL. I think one time I actually took off the gauges and stuck a 1/4 npt pipe in it's place to get my leverage.

You could get the shutoff valve off without having to remove the gauges. I don't know how much clearance you have on yours but you could turn the gauge 90 degrees so you can unscrew the shut off valve. Alternatively you could use a dremel and cut off the plastic knob parts and then you should be good.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
If you were closer I'd tell you to come on over and we'd get it done. But gas would kill you.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just gotta chime in here. All nipples are put in with thread locker your not gonna get it off with pliers. Buuuut if your brave take out all the insides diaphragm springs etc anything plastic or rubber. Step two take a torch and heat up the body of the regulator not the nipple. "Alternatively you can stick it on the stove to heat it." Step three stick it in a vice and take out the nipple"

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
any progress? this can't be stuck in there that much if wise grips won't work then pipe wrench will surely take care of it

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Oh it's still stuck in there.. Can't find my pipe wrench..Oven really work? If I try that how long would it go in? Wouldn't that cause damage to anything? I would still have a gauge on it which would be my main concern there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When you heat the body of the regulator the metal expands loosening the threads and making the locktight maluable. If you heat the nipple it's going to expand and you will definitely not get it out. That's why I said just heat the body of the regulator. And remove all the components inside anything rubber or plastic. I did this last week that's how it's done without destroying your tools and the regulator.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I don't trust myself enough to take everything out from the inside..I hope to get a new pair vice wrench tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You need a monkey wrench and a vise!!!! This combination is like having the ultimate weapon in Warcraft....:)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395015148.638334.jpg

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Would be nice..I'm going to see what I can get to help get this done..Boy this stuff wasn't in any of the regulator build guides. I will definitely be happy when this thing is done and built.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts