The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having major trouble taking off a cga 180 nipple off my regulator. Can wd40 be used? If not any ideas what I can do..I tried everything, it's all kinds of banged up now but wont budge.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to but there is nothing to catch on to..it's all rounded so also tried pliers..It's just really odd.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
just use a pipe wrench. I use a crescent wrench for cga inlets that have hexes and pipe wrenches for the rest. Have the pipe wrench bite on the nipple as close to the regulator as possible.

·
Registered
12,530 Posts
It's like this but no flat part.
Grind 2 parallel flat spots on the round part (I assume you dont want it).. Put a "good" vice grips on it Or grind it to a wrench size.. Heat w/ blow dryer (I think there "may" be some loctite on it).. Heat will soften it a bit.. or not....... the heat that is.........

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Is it a 1/8 inlet or 1/4?

Either way a large pair of vise grips is all you should need. A pipe wrench would be easier assuming it fits without marring the reg.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Agree with the grinder post. Bench grinder and an adjustable wrench have gotten many an old fitting off for me. No marks on the regs from it either...though I can't say the same for the old fittings. ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts