The Planted Tank Forum banner

Remove mould from silicone (ultra clear)

648 3
So I got an used tank with ultra clear silicone and was cleaning it for a fresh start but realised the silicone sealant on some points has mould on it. Probably the old user rinsed the tank and store it wet.

I tried to remove it already with a mild bleach solution (HG mould remover) and add toilet paper to keep it moist for longer but does not seem to work as intended since maybe its deep into the silicone.

Thinking of purchasing a stronger bleach solution (5-15%) and try it out. Should I dissolve to a more generous concentration or can it be used pure. I am a bit afraid of damaging the properties of the selant.

Any advise how can I remove this or, at least, get it to greatly discolour so that its no longer a distraction from the tank.

Any alternative product?

If nothing works, I guess I only have 2 possible ways. Either leave it as it is, but esthetically not pleasing or, as a drastic measure, remove the part of the silicone with mould (maybe 0,3 mm or so) and then filling it back up with a new silicone sealant? How easy is to fill it back up so that you really can't tell the difference, or will be there always a separation between the 2 layers? Another concern is that color should match. (Not too keen on this idea). I also would not like to reseal it completely, at least, in the near future.

Any suggestions?

the video where problem can be seen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
I would drop the idea of adding more silicone as the new rarely sticks to the old, once the silicone is cured it is pretty much all done until it is totally removed and all traces cleared.
Are you speaking of mold really IN the silicone, not just on top and staining the silicone? I would move to a stronger bleach, even full strength 5 or 6 % as it is an easy move. Perhaps scrubbed with an old toothbrush? I go with the easier step before going too hard on other solutions.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I'm curious if that is actually mold or if it's actually old algae trapped along the silicone.

Try some common hydrogen peroxide to see if that may help remove the black stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious if that is actually mold or if it's actually old algae trapped along the silicone.

Try some common hydrogen peroxide to see if that may help remove the black stuff.
Thank you both for the replies.

I had the same doubt. At first I also thought it was just algae trapped within the silicone but the circular dot pattern suggests otherwise.

I really think its within the silicone.

yesterday I added 5-15% chorine but there was not much improvement if something at all. Haven't tired hydrogen peroxide so I will definitely will give it a go after the chorine bath stops. I also tried to used a toothbrush but actually made no difference since its not really on the surface.

i do have some Muriatic Acid at hand but not sure the acid will do anything in this regard. Maybe I can give it a try after the H2O2 trial.

Starting to think that it will never go away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.