The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the regulators I've seen and used, the solenoid is connected directly to the regulator (or at the regulator). Is there any reason I couldn't have the solenoid away from the regulator, about 7'? I can figure what to use to run the line later.

I've got a tank on a bathroom vanity, and don't want a big tank and regulator sitting beside my toothbrush. I can put the tank under the sink,but don't have electricity under there for the solenoid. I can run an extension cord and keep it all under sink but was wondering if the remote solenoid idea would work.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
So... your plan is to put the co2 under the sink, run the co2 line out to the nearest outlet and then back to the vanity?

Sure you could do that. It would make more sense to just have the tank/regulator hid somewhere else and just run a co2 line into the bathroom, imo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really. Co2 tank & regulator under the sink > Co2 supply line to Solenoid that is on top of the vanity > electricity to solenoid > Co2 to tank

oldpunk, like in the photo of the Co2 regulator in your sig, the solenoid is hanging directly from the regulator. I want to remove the solenoid, put some kind of supply line in it's place from the regulator, and put the solenoid up near the tank where I can more easily get juice to it.

I figure it will be less 'messy' looking only having a Co2 line snaking around from under the sink rather than a Co2 line and electrical supply. Depending on what type of line I might be able to use I may end up just running it in wall.

I'm horrible at trying to describe things. I can do a sketchup model later if that'll be easier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being a 8 or 9' vanity, I've got a bit of room to spare and keep dry :) If this is even possible to work, Its going to be going in a box that I've yet to build to keep everything as hidden as possible that will hang on the wall, that will also contain my LED driver and any other do-dad that I want out of the way.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I would just run an extension cord, why would you want the solenoid to be out on the counter or hanging off the wall? Plus you wouldn't have to run tubing to the solenoid, AND back to the needle valve, AND back up toward the tank. Just keep it all under the sink, out of sight, the extension cord is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
It is possible, need quality high pressure rating air hose and hose connecters to run between regulator and solenoid.
Or need high pressure rating braided hose to run between co2 tank and the regulator, if the solenoid and the regulator are one piece.

As in picture, the braided hose can be longer.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't have anything that has to be connected to electricity all this time in a bathroom. I also can't get too excited about the CO2 tank being there. I would place them someplace else, like maybe a laundry room. I then set up the tank, solenoid, bubble counter and so on conventionally, and then run heavy plastic tubing from that to your tank. This can be a rather long run, and because the plastic tubing is clear, and can be tacked easily with U staples, it will be hard to see, and can even be hidden near rungs or along baseboards.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't have anything that has to be connected to electricity all this time in a bathroom. I also can't get too excited about the CO2 tank being there. I would place them someplace else, like maybe a laundry room. I then set up the tank, solenoid, bubble counter and so on conventionally, and then run heavy plastic tubing from that to your tank. This can be a rather long run, and because the plastic tubing is clear, and can be tacked easily with U staples, it will be hard to see, and can even be hidden near rungs or along baseboards.
not a problem being installed in a bathroom as long as the plug is GFI rated, which it should be via code.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You can put a solenoid anywhere in the system you want to, although I like mine upstream of the check valve. When I was making automation a couple years ago we put them as close as possible to the inlet to the air pistons to remove delay time. More recently I put one 70 feet into a 100 foot run for a helicopter crash simulator because that was the simplest location. Also, if you go tank>regulator to low pressure>solenoid>aquarium, you can use the same air hose you would use after it, you don't need anything special.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DaveK - If I could make a long distance run I would love too. I've got a Fluval Ebi by the kitchen sink and have plenty of room in the cabinets to store all Co2 equipment, and it would be nice to run both tanks from a single tank but there is no way I can run any tubing along the floor across the house, and I've already asked my lovely wife about running up into the attic and across or under the floor. Neither were met very warmly. So looks like I will be multiple setup guy.

(and yes, any outlet within 6' of water is on a GFI outlet or circuit)

Thanks everyone who responded this is exactly what I was looking for! Yall have got me thinking about ways and concepts on how to get this done. Game on :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.