The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to try shrimp again. The tank is going to be a seven gallon aquasky. Substrate a scant amount of black sand, small piece of wood, and maybe a rock plants tbd. Filtration sponge filter only. Water change every other week when I do the fish tanks. How much of the fluval shrimp mineral supplement would I need per gallon of distilled water for initial setup. After it's cycled how often do you add it and at what amount.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you really want to go this route then it should say on the directions. Add to new water before every water change; it doesn't wear out.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Depends.
If your tap water is good, use it.
If there are minor problems with the tap water, such as too hard/too high GH, KH, pH, or TDS, then you can blend RO or Distilled water with the tap.

If you want to use distilled, reverse osmosis or rain water, then add the mineral supplement per instructions. You might make a test batch with perhaps 50% of what they say to use (I understand the instructions are vague) and see if it really makes the GH etc correct for the shrimp you want to keep.

From this site...
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

"Cherry Shrimp
PH: 6.4–7.6, KH: 2–5, GH: 6–8
TDS: 80 – 200 Water temp: 69-74F"

This is a reasonably wide target to aim at.

Make up a small amount and test it. Post the results:
Test the water before you add anything, then after you have added this product.

Note that there are other ways of adding minerals to your water. Buying a liquid product means you are paying for water with a small amount of active ingredient. If you use a similar dry product, this is just the active ingredient, and is usually cheaper because you are not paying to ship water in bottles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
... after searching using the term: Fluval shrimp mineral supplement instructions:

"Use 5 ml Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement per TWENTY gallons of water to increase 0.6 units dGH (German degrees hardness).

This should mean that

one ml added to 4 gallons, or
half ml added to 2 gallons, or
0.25 ml added per gallon

will increase the hardness of THAT water by 0.6 dGH"

To make 7 gallons of water with 6-8 dGH you would add about 15 ml, test and adjust the recipe. I think the end result will be closer to 20 ml per 7 gallons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.