The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are you guys using when you do your RO water changes?
i been using fluval shrimp mineral supplement and its hard for me to get my gh up whit out raising my tds a lot. im looking fro something that last a long time and does not raise tds to much to how much gh it gives.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i hear Shirakura Liquid Mineral Ca+ is really good. that and Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+.
Personally i use Mosura mineral plus, but lately i have been having the same problems as you. the GH doesnt want to come up relative to the TDS. TDS wants to go up too much. didnt have this problem back when i first bought the mosura bottle. that was one year+ ago.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I am just about out of Fluval, and my local Big Al's store isn't carrying it anymore, some pissing contest with Fluval or something. I've use Mosura before seems to get expensive, so I'm probably going to order some of the Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+ .

Seems like a decent value. The 230gram pack should do about 404 gallons of water and is about $30. I don't you can get that much out of a bottle of Mosura of Fluval or any of them for that price.

I found the same thing with my Mosura, it's like it get diluted or something over time. After a while it was taking more and more to get it where I wanted.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
i was thinking about getting the 1000g as that will last a really really long time. has any one tried the bee shrimp one before?
This is all I use, probably have used everything else at one time or other and the bee shrimp mineral plus is by far my favorite. I find that it works just as well or better than the others and is much more economical to use.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
OP - Shrimp Mineral GH + is a great product, I've used it before and it's better than most other "shrimp specific" remineralizer out there, but after trying out Nutrafin African Cichlid Conditioner and comparing the 2 products, I'd have to say that I like Nutrafin much better.

It's cheaper and one bottle of 500ml NACC last much longer than a 230gram container of GH+ when used on the same tanks, for the same duration.

Buy a bottle and see for yourself.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
OP - Shrimp Mineral GH + is a great product, I've used it before and it's better than most other "shrimp specific" remineralizer out there, but after trying out Nutrafin African Cichlid Conditioner and comparing the 2 products, I'd have to say that I like Nutrafin much better.

It's cheaper and one bottle of 500ml NACC last much longer than a 230gram container of GH+ when used on the same tanks, for the same duration.

Buy a bottle and see for yourself.
Well the dosage instructions and the math don't support that, but everyone's mileage will vary.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
I love this stuff, Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+. I find it works great with all my neos and tigers. the 1000G will last a life time.

But on all my CRS and TB tanks I like the Nutrafin African Cichlid Conditioner, as it is in liquid and mixes better.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Well for now I'll try the Bee Shrimp stuff since I found a place that can ship it to me by tomorrow and is only an hour away. No one close has the Nutrafin stuff. About the only thing Big Al's sells now is the Kents RO right and no one seems to like that for shrimp. lol.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Not the same thing, remineralize it just as you would with GH+ if you ahve that. I just remineralize to a TDS #. I find most good products if you remineralize to what you normaly do durring water changes will be good. Like in my tiger tanks I keep around TDS 200, and I know when doing a 20% water change I need to remineralize to 120 to keep the tank around 200. With my TB and CRS, I know I have to reminerlaize to 120 as I do not keep this tank as cool as my tigers (68-70) TB(70-72) so I get way more evape with my fans going on my tigers

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Yup. TDS meters are helpful for sure.

As sbarbee54, it depends on lots of things on how much to remineralize and add back. If sbarbee54 topped off their evap tank everyday or twice a day with pure RO, they would probably change with more closer to a 200 TDS, but since they try for 200, and then evap happens, gh is going to rise and TDS as water evaps, so you add a lower TDS back to get it to the level.

Big numbers racket this shrimp keeping is. lol.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Keep it simple guys. Only use 100% RO (no remineralizers) for top offs. If you're shrimp are dying because of this tiny param fluctuation, something else is wrong with your shrimp.
This is very true. I recently noticed my TDS climbing, and I realized it was all due to me topping off with remineralized water. That was a no no lol.

My TDS fluctuated about 100, and I didn't lose any shrimp, Cardinia or Neocardinia.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.