The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use RO water in my planted tank, and I add back GH/KH with (1) aquavitro mineralize (Ca and Mg in the form of "divalent salts," using the amount recommended to get the GH in the 6-8 degrees range) and (2) Seachem Alkaline and Acid Buffers (just a tiny amount of those, since I don't mind very low KH).

Am I missing anything as far as "remineralizing" the RO water to make it healthy for plants/fish/snails/shrimp?

(Note: I've been doing this for a while, and it seems to be working okay, but my plant growth is a little "eh" as of late, so I'm trying to rule out potential issues. I very recently switched out my substrate, so it's probably just an adjustment period.)

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Well, what fertilizers are you dosing, light, CO2...
Check the ingredients in the buffers, some contain phosphates, and even a small amount can send the phosphorus very high.

Yes, it can take the plants a little while to get going again once you have redone the tank.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Paying attention to this string. as I just ordered an RO unit to make my shrimp tanks happier....
I need to learn all about GH and KH

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, what fertilizers are you dosing, light, CO2...
Check the ingredients in the buffers, some contain phosphates, and even a small amount can send the phosphorus very high.

Yes, it can take the plants a little while to get going again once you have redone the tank.
The buffers I used aren't phosphate-based. Seachem's "Regulator" products are, but I don't use those.

I fertilize with EI "lite" since I don't do pressurized CO2 (about 1/3 of the EI dosages for my tank). And I don't do nitrates since my fish provide plenty. I use Flourish Comprehensive instead of CSM+B.

My light is a Finnex 24/7, on 24/7 mode. I use Excel, about 10ml daily.

If no issues with the remineralizing, I'll wait and see for a couple weeks before doing anything significant with ferts, etc.

·
Banned
3,200 Posts
the only thing i don't like about aquavitro mineralize is that it adds too much Chloride when raising Ca and Mg levels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts