The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently aging a 2-3g bowl and 2g jar (cycling sponge filters in an active fish tank). I decided to plop the thermometer in the picos to see what the temp reads were like through the day.. over a few days between change temps outside and inside from the kitchen nearby the water ranges from 66-72F.. Granted it will be getting warmer out soon but still this much swing is obviously bad for small critters...
Soooo I'd like to know what SMALL reliable brand heaters other shrimp owners have used for pico bowls, jars, and generally odd shaped (not flat glass) tanks?
I have an ehiem jagar 25 watt but its rather huge and won't stay put on non-flat glass so that option is sadly out.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i think you will be fine with neo's without a heater. i never heat my shrimp tanks. and we keep the house about 68 and with lights on the tank it can hit 75 some times no prob. as long as it slow changes like day to night and not dropping 20 degrees in a few min you should be fine. its best to keep shrimp no warmer than 72 any way. and i have had shrimp as cool as 60 with no prob.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah, if you scan those threads on the other forums, I think a lot of people are running small (pico/nano) tanks and shrimps w/ no heaters.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? All the web sites I read about keeping cherry shrimp say temp"72-80F" with the high range shortening life span, but making them reproduce quicker. The changes would be over several hours (3-6) to go up or down a few degrees, but not a whole 12+ hours to get that change.. is that too fast?

Would love to not have to heat (hate adding more stuff to tanks) would rather it just be a simple semi hidden sponge filter.

I thought I had just cherry/rili mix but apparently there were some sakura and low grade fire reds in there.. found 2-3 prefect/near prefect red shrimp dead in past 2 weeks, and 1 that was opaque/white (think it was dead a while and hidden under a planter) >.> but cherries are eating hikari algae wafer crumbs and whatever is growing on plants fine now so they seem to be doing ok. Currently they're in a 10g holding tank with an hob.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.