The Planted Tank Forum banner

Reliable CO2 solenoid?

2526 5
I've pulled out all my equipment that was last in use 7 years ago or so. My
Clippard solenoid isn't completely shutting off... actually, it may never have really worked as intended. Anyway, what's the standard for solenoids today? Preferably one that won't melt itself from the inside out?
Thanks and Merry Christmas!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Hello,

I use Burket or Parker.
Clippard faild for me same way, it stayed open.
The only thing I cant figure out is solenoid heat.
Some get very hot, especially if they go directly to 120V. but they works, so I guess lifespan shorten.
I think some are designed to stay open for very short time, but in my (our) application I keep them open up to 8hours.
Not sure what parameter is that in specs sheet.
So you can check before you shop around.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Sounds like you both are using the wrong type of Clippard solenoid as I find the Clippard Mouse series to be the best. Heat is definitely the main killer when asking electro-mech stuff to last so looking at the specs on the mouse, it is easy to see why it lasts as it uses .67 watt!!!
Part# Electronic Mouse Valves
The downside is that it does take some effort to get the correct model and then decide how you want to mount it. Many want to use hard plumbing and 1/8 inch pipe so they need a manifold to mount the solenoid on:
http://www.clippard.com/downloads/P...by Page Number/Electronic Valves/Page 191.pdf
Manifold 15490-5 is the best for our use.
The other option is to use the solenoid which does not mount on the manifold and use tubing to set it off the reg, perhaps mounted on the stand. That model uses small 10-32 six fittings. That is the same as a number 10 screw with 32 threads per inch which does make it too small to hard plumb as it breaks too easy.
But once acquired and mounted they will last longer than most of us will have our tanks as they are used in industrial applications like automation.
Totally different design but it also requires a different line of thinking to mount and plumb it.
I use the ET-2-12 and buy it off the auction site for around $15.
Be very careful to study the model numbering as there are many which do not work for us!!!

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Thanks for that. I've ordered both of those pieces today... now I guess you just use a 12v wall wart to power it?
Yes, most any 12volt DC supply will be big enough since it only takes less than 100milliamp to power the Clippard mouse and there are very few things that require less amp. So that often leaves me to go looking through the salvage stores when I used all my junk box keepers! Some reasons I like the low voltage is that I can find the power supplies cheap but then I also like the reduced hazard and ease of working with the small wires. If I get stupid and leave an open wire on 12 volt DC, I really have a hard time hurting anything. But if it is 110 VAC, things get way too exciting if I mess it up.
Point for anybody new to these and wondering about wiring. There are two connections on the solenoid and you have two connections on the power supply. In this case, there is nothing that requires the correct polarity so either wire can go to either connection. Not that I would mess it up but it is nice to know it would still work!!
:grin2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.