The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Gal Planted
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day Plantedtank!

About a year ago I set up my 80g African cichlid aquarium after not having kept them for some years.
I remembered the colors, ease of breeding and their willingness to be overcrowded.
What I forgot about was their lack of behaviour, incessant bullying.
I am tired of adding new fish only to pray they survive, remove the problem ? And a new bully arises to take his place.
I knew these issues all along yet I still was swayed by nostalgia.
My gf really does not like watching the one ******* fish chase other fish all day long.

I have to drain the tank in order to resilicone the corner baffle to be watertight (I have a Herbie overflow system) as right now the water in the weir (corner chamber) is identical to the tank level. This currently means that in a power outage more water will drain into the sump than it can handle. This was a defect that existed with the tank when I got it.
I’ll be making the corner chamber watertight so I only lose a few gallons to the sump before the feed stops.

this is also an excellent opportunity to get rid of the cichlids and reimagine the aquarium.

My brother recently told me he might get an aquarium, my advise to him was to look online, in books and see if any particular fish just ignites a spark for his passion.
Later that day I realized that I’ve been keeping cichlids for the longest time, but that was never the spark for me. It was always the pearl gourami.
I have not kept this fish for 20 years. I remember begging my father to let me get a pair in my 29 gallon, eventually he caved and I watched them develop the beautiful coloration they are renowned for. They are every bit as beautiful and captivating as angelfish, yet so much more peaceful and durable.

What are some good tankmate ideas for gourami? I am not overly picky about being biotope specific or anything.
If possible I would like moonlight gourami also, as they have the same iridescence of an EBJD or ram cichlid.

the tank is heavily filtered (40 gallon sump) but a slower filter rate (replumbed myself). I am keeping water and the sump heated so I do not lose my cycle.

Let me know what you would suggest, these are my only conditions:
1. Can live with gourami (no fin nippers)
2. Activity in all tank levels
3. Peaceful enough that I do not have to put my net in there and catch troublemakers to solitary confinement (the sump)
4. Does not eat plants. I will be using a lower lighting level for the gourami, so low light plants will be used.

thanks and have a great day!

·
Registered
351 Posts
wow, the list of fish that would fit your requirements for the gourami are pretty big. No fin nipping might rule out out some tetras. They tend to only nip and squabble among themselves, and is usually no harm no foul, at least in a tank that big. Rasboras, cories, other peaceful gouramis (I'd not recommend male dwarf), some shrimp, or some of the more interesting snails..?

Your plant selections might help determine your stocking list (warmer or colder temps) will rule out some of the fauna I listed if they require something too different than what your plants will tolerate.

·
Registered
80 Gal Planted
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For plants I was thinking definitely to add crypts as they seem to grow very well for me in my water, anubias , Java fern etc. The typical low light low care plants.

the substrate is a combination of sand and fluval volcanic planted substrate.
I have quite a lot of wood, I would like to have much wood and a few stones at the bottom.
I saw an Asian themed tank on YouTube, king of DIY I think, and that aquascape was pretty similar to what I would go for.
I have a LED strip light that can be adjusted in output and I’ll put it on a lower setting.
I have never had luck with floating plants.

I plan on putting some mesh between the tank and the filter intake box, can I use screen door fabric ? I want to keep the smaller fish from taking a ride down to the sump.

I would love to keep some rainbow fish, it would have to be a laid back smaller species that will not attempt to swallow anything larger than fry.
I am a fan of the M. Praecox, M parkinsoni and also the Celebes rainbow fish (not a true rainbow I know)
I have kept rainbows in the past just not extensively.

I am interested in something small and peaceful like glow light tetra or neon tetra but I know they only really look good in certain light and set up.

I want a nice peaceful active aquarium and the pearl gourami are so far the only inhabitant I have decided on for sure.

·
Registered
80 Gal Planted
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just a quick update, I rehomed the cichlids, drained the tank and fixed the plumbing for power outage redundancies.

this time last week I refilled the tank, added spiral and jungle Val as well as some hornwart.

the two yellow rainbows that I have are doing great but the tank is large and empty.
I have had some time to think about my stocking since I posted this thread and this is where I am right now.

I would like the following species:

More rainbow fish, (Goldie river, yellow, praecox etc) I’m thinking of chill species that are not HUGE like turquoise.

Corydoras, not too sure on species or amount.
Pearl gourami
Tetras of some kind. I really like the idea of glow light tetras because the tank has lower light and dark wood but I’m unsure if they would be too small for the rainbows.

I also like bleeding heart, black neons, Colombian tetra and lemon tetra.
I think the lemons may be too aggressive for the gourami. I have kept Colombians in the past and they are very peaceful and look like a cheaper praecox rainbow.

let me know if you have any suggestions?
I am going to add more crypts as they always seem to grow well for me!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Lol in my experience colombians have been more nippy than lemons. I think black neons would be perfect for your tank. You definitely have a lot of options. I'm gonna throw out one of my favorite fish that no one uses too- diamond tetra. They look like crap until they settle in, then it looks like they're covered in holographic glitter.

·
Registered
80 Gal Planted
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol in my experience colombians have been more nippy than lemons. I think black neons would be perfect for your tank. You definitely have a lot of options. I'm gonna throw out one of my favorite fish that no one uses too- diamond tetra. They look like crap until they settle in, then it looks like they're covered in holographic glitter.
I actually have kept them before and they look great. The ones i had would eat certain plants though, I do have veggie flakes to supplement their diet though.

If I was going just rainbows I could keep pretty much any tetra, but the gouramis and corys might appreciate mellower tank mates. black neons always look nice with their iridescent white strips and red eyes, anything else that would be good?
I’m not against having two species of tetra, one or two Cory species, a group of Pearl gouramis and some rainbows

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would add about a dozen or more Rummynose. Love to watch their tight schooling behavior. Just my bias opinion 😁. I would also stay away from the Buenos Aires Tetres because in my experience, they are just a little too rambunctious. I also parted ways with my Cichlids for the same reasons as you. I went with the peaceful community tank of Tetras and I love it. Good luck! Keep us updated on what you decide

·
Registered
80 Gal Planted
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only cichlids if any I could see going in here would be kribensis or something peaceful but it’s unlikely.

I have been doing some research on tetras and I have a shortlist of species that apparently will not nip fins.

Black neon
Bleeding heart
Cardinal
Lemon
Diamond

reading more about the Colombians it seems they can be fin nippers.

I like that the bleeding hearts have deep bodies and an unusual color for tetras,all the ones I’ve seen are also very relaxed.

·
Registered
80 Gal Planted
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah They are very underrated.
If I had a small low light aquarium around 29 gallons I would try them with spiny eels and other shy species

I'll be getting some Corydoras tomorrow, I still have no really decided on a species.
I am not really too picky, I do like the Pandas but I have read they can be a little less hardy.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I like corydoras paleatus, peppered cory. Very easy to source and incredibly hardy, plus they look pretty cool and stay relatively small compared some of the more readily available cories. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
80 Gal Planted
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Everyone time for an update!

The Valisneria that I planted has half withered away, Some in the corner is doing better but I have a lot of room to fill. I have added root tabs.
The crypt is doing well after surviving the africans, it is beginning to come back nice and green.
The Hornwort is doing what hornwort does best, and expanding, it is creating some nice green around the wood, I want this to overgrow a little to create some sheltered areas for the pearl gourami that I will add later.
I have added an aponogeton with some root tabs about a week ago, and this plant is already shooting up some new green leaves!
Today I added a Nymphoides Hydrophilla 'taiwan' very nice light green color, I am hoping it will grow up towards the surface, It will fill in an area where the valisneria did not thrive.

the most important change to the plants is that I have removed my older low light LED and introduced my good old Finnex planted +, this light has blue and red spectrum lights and has never failed me in the past. I am optimistic with how this is turning out, In the future I would like to add more crypts, some swords and if the Nymphoides and Aponogeton do well, some more of them also!

As for fish, the rainbow group has grown by two!
Current Rainbows:
Melanotaenia Herbertaxelrodi x2
Chilatherina Alleni "Wapoga" x1
Chilatherina Sentaniensis x1
Still looking to add more 'bows but for now I have a nice varied look, they are all young and already showing some nice colors.
I have added Diamond Tetras x10
Corydoras Aeneus x6

These diamond tetra are unlike any I have seen before, instead of the typical silver cast with shiny scales they have an almost gold color, with silvery fin tips. Very cool.

Thats it for my update, I broke out the old DSLR camera to show you the new fish, my photography skills are not the greatest. Excuse the water particles, I just did a water change and everyone was active and colorful.

Thanks & let me know what you think!

Melanotaenia Herbertaxelrodi

Chilatherina Sentaniensis

Chilatherina Alleni 'Wapoga' This was not a cheap fish, I fell in love with it when I went to the store last, there was only one left and I could not be happier with the purchase.

Diamond Tetra (my gf initially referred to these as "white boring fish", after a week they looked stunning and shine across the room.

·
Registered
80 Gal Planted
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the kind words Plinkploop,
The nymphoides has doubled in size since I got it, It seems to really like the current conditions.
I will be adding some more in the future. The Aponogeton is sending up some new shoots but growing significantly slower than the nymphoides.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would go with Cardinals or Black neons or Emperor tetras and Sterbai or some mottled looking Cories the bright colours of tetras would contrast with the subtle shade of the Pearls and mottling in the Cories would compliment the dots of the Pearls

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.