The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly 20 years (have had it since I was 10), my 20gal long has decided to just cold fall apart. After being moved around the country so many times I can't count, guess I can't really complain. Last week the back glass cracked and today a slow leak started in the front. Have things temporarily repaired for the moment but will have to take this tank down within a week or two. It's on its last leg.

I've got six little Endlers (all male) and five Boraras brigittae that I'll need to re-home. While I hate to do it, I'll have to put each species in its own 2.5gal tank. The Endlers will DEFINITELY just be in a tiny tank until I can find room for them. But do you folks think the Rasboras could exist in happiness in a 2.5gal tank for an extended period of time? I don't like keeping any sort of fish in a tank that small but these little critters are super-tiny.

I'm inclined to only have these setups temporarily but would love to hear your experiences and educated opinions. (Mostly to calm my nerves - ha)

·
Registered
465 Posts
When I had issues with my tank I went to walmart and bought a big 15g tub for $8 and kept thm in it for a week until it was fixed.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I've had 6 in a 3g tank almost 2 years. They're in with a small RCS colony that seemingly never grows. I don't know if they really like it but it beats being put back in a 90g tank with adult angels. lol

Their tank is planted and I really only see them when I feed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Chili Rasboras ...aye my story with them is full of disappointment.

I bought 10 for my 20G thinking it was the best fit for a schooling fish after extensively asking about the matter here on TPT and doing research. I was thoroughly disappointed as they just weren't large enough (yes I saw this at the LFS but I was committed and went with 10 anyways). Perhaps 20 would have been more appropriate - I don't know. I still cared about the buggers but they weren't the most special fish in the tank...far from it.

Looking back, the 20G was far too big for them. I think if you were to throw in some cheap plants or even a dense mat of some sort of moss into their 2.5G tank, I think they'll be fine by the time you set up your new one.

The only problem is cycling whatever you have...even with used filter media and gravel, you may have to perform multiple water changes in the beginning.

I bought 10 and ended up with 1 surviving a whole slew of things..some that they shouldn't have had to face (my mistake entirely). However, I'm re-homing the 1 I have left and adding about 4 more to a 2G tank I hope to keep some RCS in.

I think they'll be just fine. Just don't overfeed them when they move into that tank to avoid risking an ammonia/nitrite spike.

·
Super Moderator
16,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Noahma: Glad to hear it. Though, the Flora is nearly 8 gallons in volume.

astrosag: I won't be cycling new tanks. These are pre-existing cherry tanks that are heavily planted. Guess I should have specified that.

Thanks to everyone sharing their experiences. Greatly appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.