The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I'm wondering what brands of regulators are good?

is Milwaukee good??

anyone have Aquariumplants.com brand??

·
Registered
933 Posts
Rex's is a real winner. I have it and love it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I bought a "TAPRITE" off Ebay and its a very good regulator.you could buy Clippard parts here in Canada and put yourself a good co2 system together ,(mine cost$250 CND including the co2 tank),or buy a good one from Rex:
http://rexgrigg.com/co2.htm
Buy the co2 tank from your local fire extinguisher place.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The one from aquariumplants.com is a winner. I've been using it and haven't had any problems. Price is right, but the only thing that I would add to it, and plan to, is a LPR.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The one regulator I have seen/read the least/no problems is Rex's.

I have one from him and it's been kinda boring cause it works really well and needs no real adjustments after being set the first time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When, what pressure, do you begin to need to use a LPR?

I am lazy with adjustments, but I am willing to refill my tank more regularly.

Will a LPR also help prevent a tank dump?

I'm thinking for a 10lbs maybe 20lbs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually I think they're both about the same...AQP & the one from Rex. One thing to consider though is warranty. I'm not sure what Rex's warranty is, but AQP has a pretty good warranty on their product...3yrs. Price wise...they're close enough to each other. If you want a good, quality regulator, then you're gonna have to pay for it.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Will a LPR also help prevent a tank dump?
Yes.

I'm thinking for a 10lbs maybe 20lbs.
the cost of refilling will probably be very close,
but there is a big difference in carrying 1.

I personally don't care, but my wife can't take the 20 in to get filled for me like the 5lber. :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
An LPR helps, but so does a good needle valve. An LPR is not necessary, but a nice safety feature to have. Consider the size of your tank when deciding on the size of a cylinder. Also take into consideration where you will be putting that cylinder. Is it going underneath the stand, or beside it? Most likely you will probably want it to be out of sight. A 5lb cylinder on my 45g will last quite a long time. A 20lb cylinder is quite big.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 90 gallon tank, and I was thinking that with a lager tank fewer fills and perhaps higher pressure for longer.

20lbs would be like my BBQ propane tank.

Would a larger tank keep higher pressure longer?

·
Registered
69 Posts
A 20lb co2 cylinder is a lot taller than a bbq propane tank...a lot taller. Doesn't matter what size cylinder you have... the working pressure is the same. The difference is the amount of co2 it holds. I would suggest looking at some cylinders online and checking their measurments, or better yet visit a welding supply shop, fire extinquisher shop and take a look at the tanks they have. You also might want to consider getting a used tank that either one of these shops might offer for sale.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some more thoughts.... buying a NEW cylinder can be expensive (roughly $50 for a NEW Alluminum 5lb). You also want to find out who fills co2 in your area. Some shops offer EXCHANGE ONLY and buying a NEW cylinder would be a waste of money. If you want a shinny cylinder everytime and can/want to fork out the $$$, then you will need to find a place that will FILL ONLY and not EXCHANGE. If you do decide to purchase used/refurbished, then consider the weight difference of a steel cylinder vs. an alluminum.

·
Registered
933 Posts
When, what pressure, do you begin to need to use a LPR?QUOTE]

I had Rex design my system and because I have one of my tanks in the next room he advised me to put the LPR near the furthest tank. From what I understand this is probably the only reason to have one. Correct me if I am wrong.

Joe

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Some more thoughts.... buying a NEW cylinder can be expensive (roughly $50 for a NEW Alluminum 5lb). You also want to find out who fills co2 in your area. Some shops offer EXCHANGE ONLY and buying a NEW cylinder would be a waste of money. If you want a shinny cylinder everytime and can/want to fork out the $$$, then you will need to find a place that will FILL ONLY and not EXCHANGE. If you do decide to purchase used/refurbished, then consider the weight difference of a steel cylinder vs. an alluminum.
You always have to buy the first cylinder, whether you plan on doing an exchange or a refill. I wouldn't bother to invest in a shiny fancy aluminum cylinder, but that's just me. I recommend going with the exchange. If you buy/refill, you're responsible for hydrotesting and recertification. If you exchange, it's the company that supplied the cylinder's problem. Eventually you'll have to replace the cylinder anyway. The DOT is currently getting legislation passed to institute a maximum life span for all refillable compressed gas cylinders.

Tommy

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just started pressurized CO2 a while ago and was looking at all the different regulators available (JBJ, Milwaukee, Azoo, etc.). Like most people starting out, I wanted the cheapest in price I could find but ended up paying a little more for a regulator from Rex instead. I realized it wouldn't be a good idea to skimp out on a important part of the CO2 system. Definately worth it - easy to setup and works flawlessly. Of course that's not to say the other brands won't work but some people have had problems with the others and I didn't want to risk it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
any of you guys ever use this: AquariumPlants.com's own: Freshwater Planted Aquarium Substrate?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
any of you guys ever use this: AquariumPlants.com's own: Freshwater Planted Aquarium Substrate?
Not sure what this has to do with regulators or equipment since we do have a Substrate forum here.

It seems to be pretty much the same as Soilmaster Select.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts