The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening.... I have a 130l low tech planted tank currently but have decided to add co2 and start to add some more complex plants. A friend of mine offered me a co2 set up that he wasn't using so that's my starting point but I'm having issues.

Long story short i currently have a 2kg extinguisher fitted with a JBL M001 dual guage regulator, then a short length of tube and a solenoid valve leading to a bubble counter, diffuser etc.

I'm struggling to get pressures correct. I open the extinguisher with the needle valve open, bubble counter goes nuts and the bottle pressure guage rises as it should. I start to wind in the needle valve to slow the flow but before bubble counter gets anywhere near 1/2bps the output pressure guage on the regulator rises above 4bar (max) and the pressure release valve opens and let's the pressure out. Also whenever the solenoid is switched off the pressure shoots up and the pressure is again released....... finally if I screw the needle valve all the way closed and open the tank the output pressure guage rockets and the pressure release valve activates straight away..... Do I have a faulty regulator? Or a regulator that's not designed to be used with a solenoid?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Evening.... I have a 130l low tech planted tank currently but have decided to add co2 and start to add some more complex plants. A friend of mine offered me a co2 set up that he wasn't using so that's my starting point but I'm having issues.

Long story short i currently have a 2kg extinguisher fitted with a JBL M001 dual guage regulator, then a short length of tube and a solenoid valve leading to a bubble counter, diffuser etc.

I'm struggling to get pressures correct. I open the extinguisher with the needle valve open, bubble counter goes nuts and the bottle pressure guage rises as it should. I start to wind in the needle valve to slow the flow but before bubble counter gets anywhere near 1/2bps the output pressure guage on the regulator rises above 4bar (max) and the pressure release valve opens and let's the pressure out. Also whenever the solenoid is switched off the pressure shoots up and the pressure is again released....... finally if I screw the needle valve all the way closed and open the tank the output pressure guage rockets and the pressure release valve activates straight away..... Do I have a faulty regulator? Or a regulator that's not designed to be used with a solenoid?
Yes sounds like you have a faulty regulator. The model you listed has preset output pressure of 1.5 bar. I is possible to adjust the output pressure and possible someone has messed with the adjustment. It is worth checking out. Pop off the black cap in the center out the regulator and under that is an allen head adjustment screw. I think turning it counter clockwise should reduce pressure.
Honestly though that particular regulator is cheap china garbage.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
the actual close position of a pressure regulator is the handle turning all the way counter clockwise, opposite to a water faucet.
If you make the mistake turning it clockwise and thinking it is "closed", the high pressure will damage the regulator when you turn on the co2 cylinder valve.

and don't use a fire extinguisher, because there is a siphon tube inside and if you open the valve too fast, liquid co2 will get in the regulator. Once liquid co2 get pass the valve inside the regulator, there is chance the regulator will damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts