The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build my own regulator and would like to know the importance of each piece in order to see where I should spend the most money. Here is a list that I need to be put in order.

Regulator with gauges only
Solenoid
Bubble Counter
Check Valve

The other parts like fittings I think would be unimportant but if I am wrong please let me know.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
check valve and bubble counter aren't important. you're missing the needle valve/metering valve. fittings are going to cost a good 10-50 depending on quality. most money will be invested in quality regulator, solenoid, and needle valve.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
The regulator has work and will need a cga-320 nut and nipple.

The solenoid (if you want one, recommended) has to work.

The needle valve needs to do what you want it to do.

You have to be able to plumb it together without leaks.

You need to be able to understand how much gas makes it into the aquarium.

You need to not have aquarium water make it into the regulator.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would spending 100 on the regulator and 250 for the rest of the parts less the tank make sense? I see regulators going for 80 for the full systems up to 500 for just the regulator. The aquatek and the milwaukee are only about 125.00 but they have issues.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The regulator has work and will need a cga-320 nut and nipple.

The solenoid (if you want one, recommended) has to work.

The needle valve needs to do what you want it to do.

You have to be able to plumb it together without leaks.

You need to be able to understand how much gas makes it into the aquarium.

You need to not have aquarium water make it into the regulator.
I just read your post How to build a co2 regulator [56k!]. Can you please recomend a regulator for about a 100.00. If you think I can go cheaper fine if you you think I should go a bit more thats fine too. I just need to justify the extra expense. You said no regulator is a bad one so what would be the difference between a 50.00 one and a 400.00 one be. I just spent 160.00 from swaglok and 60.00 from freshwater. I got the b-ss4-a metering valve, B-2C2-1/3 which is a 1/3 psig and Burkert Miniature Solenoid. Plus fitting stuff.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
You've missed the point of that thread. The idea is to find something better than hobby grade for relatively cheap. The best regulators cost around $1000 new. Ebay gives us the option of picking them up cheap. The problem is that you have to do some research in order to figure out what's good and will work. I'd rather not type out 30 different regs to keep an eye out for and what each of those need to be able to do to be usable on my phone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oldpunk78, I reread the post a second time and I see things a bit different not everything but some.I found this one 141214769939. Will this work and will it work with brass fittings? I know I have to change the cga.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Oldpunk78, I reread the post a second time and I see things a bit different not everything but some.I found this one 141214769939. Will this work and will it work with brass fittings? I know I have to change the cga.
I got one from the same seller for $55 shipped.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.