The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just went to fill my 10lb tank and noticed a piece stuck in the tank.
this is it:

now i'm guessing it broke off of the regulator... from here possibly?

this is whole shot of the regulator:

can I get this part in a welding shop?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Thats actually how the brass perma seal gets connected to the cga fitting I believe. I have had some issues with mine doing this in the recent months too. You wil need to get the surrounding portion out of the connection to the regulator. You can probably pry it out but you would need be careful not to damage the threads. Worst case you can get a cga-320 fitting and nipple from a welding shop for under $10 for a brass one.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats actually how the brass perma seal gets connected to the cga fitting I believe. I have had some issues with mine doing this in the recent months too. You wil need to get the surrounding portion out of the connection to the regulator. You can probably pry it out but you would need be careful not to damage the threads. Worst case you can get a cga-320 fitting and nipple from a welding shop for under $10 for a brass one.
thanks... is that 3/8 or half inch nipple? im not home and hoping you may know. id rather get everything new.
do they normally do this?

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just called. he knew what i needed. $6.00 for the fitting and nipple.

Thanks Bsmith! you are a real asset to this forum! My plants thank you too! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Flat smack with a hammer on the end of the nut would have fixed your
issue, would have taken all of about 25 seconds to do.
The perma seal that is pictured and is damaged, is still useable.

The part that broke off threads into the valve on top of your CO2 bottle.
The seal stays connected to the valve on the bottle. The nut on your
regulator fits over the seal, allowing you to thread the nut onto the valve
for the bottle.

·
Registered
308 Posts
What is the big deal with those perma seals? Why not use the crush washers that they give out for free wherever they fill CO2 tanks?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
What is the big deal with those perma seals? Why not use the crush washers that they give out for free wherever they fill CO2 tanks?
It's just preference I guess. I am lucky enough in that the company that I use to refill/swap tanks with (CeeKay) provides a new perma-seal with every tank I get. They are already screwed in so I never have to mess with it. On a side note, I think its a good practice to check your CGA fitting and also the tank every time you get a new one to make sure that you arent putting two seals together. If this happens it is more than likely that you will drain your newly acquired tank very quickly and almost nothing in this world aggravated me more than paying ~$20 to get a new tank only to have it empty due to reasons that are solely my fault and with a bit more thoroughness, could have easily been averted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts