The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am testing my regulator for leak using bettatail's instruction in this forum.
with regulator valve open all they way counter clock wise, i hooked it up to the co2 tank. open the co2 tank and high pressure goes 750, low pressure remains 0.
close the valve on the tank, pressure gradually dropped to 550 in about 5-10 min then have been staying there ever since.
i'd like to know if this indicates a sure leak?
i will be doing the soap test tomorrow, if i find a leak then problem identified, i'm more worried about if i don't find a leak and stuck not knowing if the regulator is bad or not.

thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a scott air regulator, i tightened the tank nut real tight and now it only drop by 100 from 750 to 650 instead of 550 like before, ordering new washer to see if that will help. it's been stable for about an hour now without dropping further, will do the soap test tomorrow anyways. I am thinking if i don't find any leak, i'll just live with it since it doesn't look like a significant drop.
Product Gauge Metal Circle Measuring instrument

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
find the leak first, the pressure drop from 800 psi to 700psi is a lot when you keep the co2 cylinder valve open, 4/5 of the co2 in the cylinder will gone in less than a week.

and plug the outlet of the regulator, this way if the leak is internal between the stages, the LP gauge will rise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i didn't put the regulator together myself. i bought it from a member here. i do see some teflon tapes on some connections
Bettatail, how do i plug the other side, does it require a special plug that i need to purchase?
I've just done the soap water test (it's my first time doing this) it isn't obvious to me that something is bubbling since there are bubble in the soap solution too. should i just use soap without water to increase the solution's thickness? my next plan, if i don't find something, is to re-do each connection, then re-do the pressure test, until (hopefully) the problem is gone.
any other suggestion is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
The outlet port is 1/8 male npt, so the right part to plug it, is a 1/8 npt cap, if you don't have one, not practical to go to store to get a single piece fitting.
liquid hand soap solution is good, 1/4 to 1/2 of hand soap liquid mix with water is good enough, use a marinade syringe/injector and pointing down to avoid bubbles get into the testing area. A flash light will also help to detect bubbles from leaking point.

according to the signs of the problem, more than likely the leak is from the pipe joints, especially where the CGA320 stem connects to the regulator body.

and
I am not sure from the picture, but do not lay down the co2 cylinder! the liquid co2 gets into the regulator will create trouble.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for the tips, espeically that not laying down the tank one. I've ordered new washer for the cga320 connection as it seems when i tightened, there appear to be less leaking so i will try that first
been using a brush, syringe is a great idea and i have them laying around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.