The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been kicking an idea around lately and wanted to know how many of you would be interested in a how to build a co2 regulator thread. I've pretty much seen it all and have a great amount of knowledge in the area so it could be pretty helpful to some of you.

Share your thoughts.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I would be interested. I already know how to build one all the way because of problems I've been having with mine (after I put in a new inlet and CGA320 nut I'll have assembled all the connections), but I would still be interested to read through everything.

One question that I have is: which products only make 10-32 input/outputs? For example, I know that the Clippard mouse solenoid only accepts a 10-32 input and output so that you're forced to use 10-32 fittings in your build, and that really really sucks imo since they break so easily. I'm almost afraid to tighten mine too tight in fear that they will snap off.

edit: also where you order the fittings from would be nice. I can see 1/8" NPT hex nipples on mcmaster-carr, but I can't find 10-32 hex nipples there.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pictures are part of the idea, no worries. I'm not sure about a comprehensive list of reg specs though. That's just too much info that's really unnecessary. 95% of the regs out there will work for us at some level. I would outline what to look for.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very true. Mattf and Leftc could probably write a book. The problem is that 90% of the folks here don't know about it. I wonder what comes up here when you search how to build a regulator?

·
Registered
401 Posts
it is quite simple, if you can do some simple plumbing at home, you can easily do this. the main parts are regulator, solenoid, check valve, needle valve, and bubble counter, then the fittings to piece these parts together.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I would be interested in having something put together oldpunk78. I think it would be a great contribution to the site. I would love having a step-by-step pictoral guide on how to build a co2 setup from scratch. A guide on how to set up a regulator in the first post would be cool then Q&A, pricing break down, and information about parts can be added afterwords.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yepper ... We need it.
An all inclusive concise step-by-step how to with pro and con of the differing equipment and the tradeoff you get if you go this way or that but the benefits you gain by going the other way. in some cases you cannot have your cake and eat it too. An example out of the field we want cars with great fuel economy we have them but the trade off is lack of high performance (0-60mph in 2 minutes a mile and a half latter; not 0-60 in 0.7 seconds)

Anyway do the tread we all could benefit from it.

Thank for wanting to share.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Welcome to Algaeville
161 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Regulators are becoming a staple in a lot of planted tanks and there are so many questions floating around about them it's a no brainer. Definitely a candidate for a stickied thread in the future. Look forward to seeing your posts.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
For those of us that don't visit or frequent other forums, I think this would be a valuable addition to the forum. Especially since I am wanting to build my own in the future. :hihi: The more basic detailed the instructions the better. Like even going as far as defining key words like "NPT." Great idea, Josh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.