The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The output hose will not stay on for more than a day or 2. It pops off and empties the entire tank of CO2. Its the top left black hose with the clamp on it.. Im not very good with this sort of thing, so any help would be great. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
sounds like your outlet pressure is too high. Is there a way to adjust the outlet pressure on the regulator?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I know very little about regulators but all the ones I have seen have 2 gauges for high pressure for tank pressure and low pressure for output pressure and your's only has 1 guage so how do you know what the output pressure is set too? maybe it's changed and you don't know since you don't have the 2nd guage.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Something doesn't make sense here.

If that black output hose is post regulator and post flow meter(your metering valve) then this shouldn't be the case. You need to lower your working pressure from your main regulator body. Is this an adjustable regulator or a pre set? If pre set, it is just too high and you need a new one. If it is adjustable You need it much lower.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I HOPE the picture is oriented the wrong way. IF the tank is on it's side, you are probably dumping liquid C02 into the regulator. Is there a hose attached to the top of the bubble counter? It's hard to see exactly what the setup is from that pic.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I suggest getting rid of the flowmeter/valve combination, and buying a good needle valve to replace it. Then, use a screwdriver to lower the pressure setting of the regulator to about 15-20 psi. Finally, make sure the hose you use is the right size for the hose barb on the outlet of the new needle valve. I had a CO2 hose blow off of my regulator once too, but it was primarily because the hose was being slightly pulled by the way I had it installed. I adjusted it, and used a piece of twisted wire to act as a clamp after that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tank is empty at the moment. Yes the picture is sideways, sorry. The regulator was purchased from a hydroponics store unfortunately... The clamp was the smallest one I could find at the hardware store, but I think what i need to do is just make sure that the out pressure isn't too high by adjusting the little screw in the middle of the picture. Hopefully that works along with trying wire instead of the clamp.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The flow meter has to go and a needle valve and bubble counter need to be installed.
My guess is the hydroponics store didn't buy your story of wanting CO2 for an aquarium and sold you what "everyone" else is using.

On the good side, you shouldn't have much trouble selling the flow meter to some who will put it to it's intended hydroponic use. ;-)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am using the redsea needle valve along with the redsea bubble counter and a ceramic diffuser at the end. Ill update once I get the thing filled.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The flow meter has to go and a needle valve and bubble counter need to be installed.
My guess is the hydroponics store didn't buy your story of wanting CO2 for an aquarium and sold you what "everyone" else is using.

On the good side, you shouldn't have much trouble selling the flow meter to some who will put it to it's intended hydroponic use. ;-)
I am going to repeat what others have already said. THE FLOW METER HAS GOT TO GO. You are not going to be able to get it to do what you need it to do for a planted tank. We deal with very low bubble rates and need MUCH FINER CONTROL THAN IT CAN OFFER FOR OUR USE end of story. Your out put pressure is also to high. It would be ideal to get a regulator with a controllable out put pressure.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Attach your needle valve directly to the regulator before the flexible hose. That hose is probably not pressure rated. I always make sure all flexible hoses are after the needle valve unless the hose can handle higher pressure. Even 15-20 psi is probably way too much for that hose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.