The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Soooooo, found a guy breaking down his system the other day and bought a bunch of stuff off of him including his CO2 setup for a pretty good price. Unfortunately I have no idea what I am doing (not abnormal).

It's been sitting in my garage for a few weeks and decided to test it out on a new tank just to see if I could not gas my whole family. First issue is that the working pressure gauge either isn't working or is wrong. As you can see in the pic below, with the regulator closed (knob all the way counter clockwise) this is where the needle stops. If I open the regulator, by turning the knob clockwise it actually goes up (pressure wise) and will keep going until it hits the back of the peg (wrong side).

Anyone had this issue? I'm able to adjust the needle valve for a good, consistent flow but not knowing the working pressure makes me nervous (should it?).

Should I get a new gauge and try it? Should I field adjust it like I do at work (beat it with a wrench til it works)? Should I hammer throw it into the woods and get a new one?

Anyone identify the brand? There are no defining markings on it. That enough questions? Crap that was another question...

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
The regulator is a Milwaukee 957. I've bought 3 new ones over the years and have found them to be a good all in 1 regulator combo. Make sure you use a good check valve with them. The right (working pressure gauge) is blown and I would suggest getting another regulator because the working pressure should be known so you can adjust it properly. Depending on your diffusion method, you will need to adjust the working pressure accordingly.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
It's a Milwaukee. The gauge is broken. If it's just the gauge that's broken but not leaking, you can use the regulator without knowing what pressure you're using (to be safe, lower is better). If you want to replace the gauge, you can, but those things are on there *really* well and you will likely have a whole lot of trouble getting it off. You can also add another gauge between the outlet and the solenoid by putting in a tee, next to, or instead of, that nipple that's there now (though you might need to move things around to create enough space for it).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, last question. Been unable to Google up results for a replacement gauge. Any ideas where to get one. I work in oil and gas, pretty sure our I&E techs in the shop at work could swap it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.