The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so picked up a swagelok SS-31RS4-A and an advanced specialty gas equipment (LABE350540) dual stage regulator for cheap. now i just ordered a mouse solenoid (this one) and already have a connector for it into the the regulator. now i'm trying to figure out the connector from the solenoid into the metering valve and then out. picture is of what i have now btw.

Attachments

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
FYI, here's the spec page for that, and I *think* it may be a Matheson 1250.
Advanced Specialty Gas Equipment Brass Two-Stage Regulator Model LABE

You're dealing with all 1/4" NPT fittings for the reg body. It looks like you already have a 1/4" to 1/8" nipple, correct? You can remove or keep the shutoff valve that's on the left side (you can probably remove it by unscrewing the handle from the big square fitting, making it short enough to spin around and not hit the working pressure gauge. If not, the gauge would have to come off to get the valve off). It won't do any good to keep it, but it won't hurt to keep it, either. It just makes the reg 3" or so wider.

The 31 series metering valve has 1/4" tube fittings. You'll need adapters, as well as compression nuts and ferrules. There are a few ways put it all together, depending on how you want the whole thing to look. Some parts you might want to look at:

Tube Adapter
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Port Connector, 1/4 in. Tube OD | Swagelok
316 Stainless Steel Nut for 1/4 in. Swagelok Tube Fitting | Swagelok
316 SS Nut and Ferrule Set (1 Nut/1 Front Ferrule/1 Back Ferrule) for 1/4 in. Tube Fitting
Compression Elbow

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI, here's the spec page for that, and I *think* it may be a Matheson 1250.
Advanced Specialty Gas Equipment Brass Two-Stage Regulator Model LABE

You're dealing with all 1/4" NPT fittings for the reg body. It looks like you already have a 1/4" to 1/8" nipple, correct? You can remove or keep the shutoff valve that's on the left side (you can probably remove it by unscrewing the handle from the big square fitting, making it short enough to spin around and not hit the working pressure gauge. If not, the gauge would have to come off to get the valve off). It won't do any good to keep it, but it won't hurt to keep it, either. It just makes the reg 3" or so wider.

The 31 series metering valve has 1/4" tube fittings. You'll need adapters, as well as compression nuts and ferrules. There are a few ways put it all together, depending on how you want the whole thing to look. Some parts you might want to look at:

Tube Adapter
SS Swagelok Tube Fitting, Port Connector, 1/4 in. Tube OD | Swagelok
316 Stainless Steel Nut for 1/4 in. Swagelok Tube Fitting | Swagelok
316 SS Nut and Ferrule Set (1 Nut/1 Front Ferrule/1 Back Ferrule) for 1/4 in. Tube Fitting
Compression Elbow
ya i saw that page before i baught it wanted to double check it could handle CO2 and was a dual stage. i'm just going to leave the shutoff valve on space isn't a big issue. as for the rest I was thinking just an elbow to the metering valve and then a nipple for CO2 tubing coming out of that facing up what would the fitting be for that going to the solenoid.

BTW: you do have to replace the tank to regulator CGA nipple..
thought i might have to but wasn't sure, how hard is it just find a CO2 tank that have that connector? or can i use a converter?

·
Registered
13,131 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so have the CGA nipple coming and but i still need a little help with the other stiff i know i'm going to want at least 2x of these, 1x of this. but not sure exactly how they connect and also what i will need for a attaching tubing?

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
ok so have the CGA nipple coming and but i still need a little help with the other stiff i know i'm going to want at least 2x of these, 1x of this. but not sure exactly how they connect and also what i will need for a attaching tubing?
Hopefully you have the CGA320 nut coming as well?

In addition to what you listed, you need a ferrule set. So instead of the two single nuts, you need one SS-400-NFSET and one SS-402-1 (using a port connector, which I'll assume you're doing, requires two nuts but only one ferrule set. And then you need an extra set for the other end of the valve, for the tubing. One nut/ferrule set comes with the elbow, so you need two more nuts total, and one more ferrule set). However, you need to buy in multiples of 5 from Swagelok.com, so unless you find a different source, you can just get one set of 5 of SS-400-NFSET and not buy the additional SS-402-1.

Total list, assuming you're complete through the solenoid mount:
SS-400-2-2
5 * SS-400-NFSET (or 1 * SS-402-1 and 1* SS-400-NFSET)
SS-401-PC
SS-405-2 (the insert for the tubing, which I've seen some people not use, but I always have. You can also use brass for this)

Also, you need to be using 1/4" OD by 1/8" ID tubing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.