The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a paintball tank and an on/off with a CHEAP needle valve. I just cant afford a 200+ dollar set up at once for the full version. What can I do in steps to better what I have? Is upgrading a paintball set-up like trying to fix a leaky aquarium(just buy the correct thing and stop asking)? Would a more expensive needle valve help with fine tuning? I think a lot of folks are where I am at. What are the most important purchases we can make for every dollar we have?
As always thank you for your responses.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
My big issue with these setups is I just don't think they are safe. Needle valves aren't regulators and the output is still several hundred psi.

What I would do is piece together a new co2 setup. Buy a reg from ebay, a nv, maybe a solenoid from ebay or aquariumplants.com or one of many sellers here.

Do it over a few months and you'll never notice. It won't cost you 200 bucks if you do it yourself, either.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So buy parts for a normal co2 tank and hold on to them until I have them all together?
I know preference plays a big role,but what is the most regulator for the buck?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I agree with what said at the top. The most cost effective way to do this (most bang for your buck) is to buy a regulator off of ebay, and then buy a post body kit from me, or anyone else who sells them on here (buying multiple parts from separate manufactures would cost you more, because of shipping, and handling fees.)

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
My big issue with these setups is I just don't think they are safe. Needle valves aren't regulators and the output is still several hundred psi.

What I would do is piece together a new co2 setup. Buy a reg from ebay, a nv, maybe a solenoid from ebay or aquariumplants.com or one of many sellers here.

Do it over a few months and you'll never notice. It won't cost you 200 bucks if you do it yourself, either.

Some nv are safe. The ones jaggedfury sell are ones I worry about. My swagelok is rated for 3000psi...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
There's a lot of great dual stage regulators out there. I happened to get a great deal on a heavy duty overkill Victor VTS450D for $55 shipped on E-bay.

Look at the power sellers threads for regulators and post body kits. Read and ask questions. Educate yourself. Keep stuffing a little $$ every pay day as you build up the reserves. When you know what you want, start acquiring the parts.

Took me 3 months, but now I have an excellent <$300 total cost system including the regulator, solenoid, needle valve, check valve, JBJ style bubble counter, 20# aluminum tank, Cerges' reactor, etc.

I've seen great deals here in the Swap n Shop and Power Seller sections for under $200. Craig's list has some good deals on the CO2 tanks.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Some nv are safe. The ones jaggedfury sell are ones I worry about. My swagelok is rated for 3000psi...
It isn't just the NV I worry about. It is POST needle valve. the check valve, bc, and diffuser are all subject to this pressure. I just don't think it is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
It isn't just the NV I worry about. It is POST needle valve. the check valve, bc, and diffuser are all subject to this pressure. I just don't think it is a good idea.
Ah. Makes sense. I think jaggedfury did a test on output pressure (don't take my word for it) and it came out to like 40-100? psi. Seems reasonable for most materials....

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Bettatail also sells good whole setups for reasonable prices. If you're going paintball though, you're going to need a CGA 320 to Paintball adapter for connecting your regulator if it isn't a paintball fitting. Also, I pretty much agree with most things said in this thread. Just a needle valve WILL cut it, but it's a pain in the (language) to deal with. I personally adjust mine by hitting it with a pair of pliers and I don't really deem that the best method...but it will work. They're just so sensitive to change being under that much pressure that if you try to move the needle valve by hand that you WILL end up either giving way too little or way too much gas and I know I've blown my diffuser off of the tubing that way(learned from my mistake and never did it again). I'm currently looking into purchasing a new unit (from Bettatail) myself, and I'd definitely recommend you build it in pieces if it's more affordable that way as another member suggested. The link above me is also an option.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have the same regulator Noahma posted...I also use a 20oz bottle on a 100G planted. I have limited space where this tank is located, limited resources for larger tanks, and I have a load of places around here than refill paintball tanks(wont touch larger tanks for some reason). I get 4-6 weeks out of a bottle on the tank, it takes about 2 mins to hook up a fresh bottle and I have a horde of bottles from being a paintball player so there was no expense on that end. I also get a bottle refilled for $2, thus the expense is minimal.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have the same regulator Noahma posted...I also use a 20oz bottle on a 100G planted. I have limited space where this tank is located, limited resources for larger tanks, and I have a load of places around here than refill paintball tanks(wont touch larger tanks for some reason). I get 4-6 weeks out of a bottle on the tank, it takes about 2 mins to hook up a fresh bottle and I have a horde of bottles from being a paintball player so there was no expense on that end. I also get a bottle refilled for $2, thus the expense is minimal.
$2? Holy cow. Where? My refills cost me $9 per 20oz....something about CO2 taxes being 300% or something like that.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
$2? Holy cow. Where? My refills cost me $9 per 20oz....something about CO2 taxes being 300% or something like that.
If you have a sports authority in your area, They are 3.50 per fill on the 20 oz.

I run my co2 pretty high, which is a goo reason why I went through 1 per month lol

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts

+1. Get a regulator.

I almost bought a paintball set up for my 5.5g but change my mind and go for regulator instead. Would last a long time than paintball.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Tiny little hole in the wall place, I think they just charge whatever sounds good at that time. I am normally charged $2 when I take in a couple of tanks...if I only take in 1or2 I get charged a little more. lol Most of the large chains I have been to only charge around $5 per fill tho.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
if your budget is limited, get a single stage regulator from evil bay($25-$50, make sure it comes with shut off valve), a CGA320 nipple and nut set($9, from your local airgas), a CGA320 to paintball adapter($16), a needle/metering valve($10-$70, a lot to choose from), and necessary fittings/adapters($5-$10).
Connect the needle valve to the shutoff valve, the whole system is manually shutoff without the solenoid, but still better than a paintball flow valves only system that is on 24/7.

later on you can install a solenoid or/and switch to regular co2 tank.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the Idea of getting parts that will fit a normal size tank, but adapting for now to my paintball tank. What is the big difference between a 50$ regulator from Evil Bay and the ones some folks on here sell for much more. Let me add to that as well, is there any thing as far as regulators that I should run from?
Do I have to use C02 regulators? What about Oxygen or Hydrogen? Evil bay sells AirProducts regulators for good prices but they are not for c02.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if your budget is limited, get a single stage regulator from evil bay($25-$50, make sure it comes with shut off valve), a CGA320 nipple and nut set($9, from your local airgas), a CGA320 to paintball adapter($16), a needle/metering valve($10-$70, a lot to choose from), and necessary fittings/adapters($5-$10).
Connect the needle valve to the shutoff valve, the whole system is manually shutoff without the solenoid, but still better than a paintball flow valves only system that is on 24/7.

later on you can install a solenoid or/and switch to regular co2 tank.
Do you put nylon washer between regulator and CGA 320 adapter?
How often should replace nylon washer?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts