The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm diving head first into planted tanks - working on a design for a freshwater community aquascape. I wanted to make it like a place I visited and love, the Arenal volcano in Costa Rica. Any recommendations on how to find plants native to that area? I found good resources on plants found in Costa Rica, but nothing that was area-specific. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I'm diving head first into planted tanks - working on a design for a freshwater community aquascape. I wanted to make it like a place I visited and love, the Arenal volcano in Costa Rica. Any recommendations on how to find plants native to that area? I found good resources on plants found in Costa Rica, but nothing that was area-specific. Any help would be appreciated.
The problem with picking a very specific area (that you do not have regular access to) is there could easily be species of plants there not in the aquarium hobby at all. Meaning the only way to get that species of plant is to go there in person and take a cutting (an act which may be illegal under local laws).

Anyway a quick search for costa rican aquarium plants turned up very little. HOWEVER, there are likely quite a few 'south american' aquarium plants which have ranges which include costa rica. I'd strongly suggest looking at amazon biotope plants and picking ones you like the look of. If you really absolutely need a plant that grows in costa rica things become more difficult and you will need to cross reference each plant to see if it includes native ranges in costa rica as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tell you what, I will be down there 2 weeks from today fishing for dovii and machaca in Lago Arenal and some of the neighboring rivers. I will be staying in the area of Fortuna. I will try to find some of the native aquatic plants and get some pictures for you. Maybe we can get some positive IDs here on this site.

I like where you are going with this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with picking a very specific area (that you do not have regular access to) is there could easily be species of plants there not in the aquarium hobby at all. Meaning the only way to get that species of plant is to go there in person and take a cutting (an act which may be illegal under local laws).

Anyway a quick search for costa rican aquarium plants turned up very little. HOWEVER, there are likely quite a few 'south american' aquarium plants which have ranges which include costa rica. I'd strongly suggest looking at amazon biotope plants and picking ones you like the look of. If you really absolutely need a plant that grows in costa rica things become more difficult and you will need to cross reference each plant to see if it includes native ranges in costa rica as well.
Thanks Minorhero - definitely do NOT want to get anything that was acquired illegally or gathered in a non-sustainable fashion. Was looking more in the style of flora/fauna of the Arenal area. Will definitely research some biotopes of the region. I know there are some common types of plants found everywhere, and my hope is that I can say that everything I pick for my tank could be found in the area around Arenal. Thanks for the guidance!

I tell you what, I will be down there 2 weeks from today fishing for dovii and machaca in Lago Arenal and some of the neighboring rivers. I will be staying in the area of Fortuna. I will try to find some of the native aquatic plants and get some pictures for you. Maybe we can get some positive IDs here on this site.

I like where you are going with this.
Hola Robmcd - that would be awesome! I found a few things by a professor from the University of Costa Rica that has fish (William A. Bussing - some out of print!), but I haven't had any luck with plants. Some photos would be great, plus it sounds like a fun trip. Be safe and enjoy the time there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.