The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard alot of great things about zebra danios so i went ahead and bought one as the manager told me to and came back in a week to buy two more. so i brought them home and the next morning found one attached to the filter but still alive i peeled him of and he lived for about three days then died. now i bought three more to have a small school one more was attached to the filter when i woke up and the others started harrassing my other fish so i decided to put them in my 8g where the currently reside but now they have clearly lost their pigment and are skittish like mad. i dont know what to do these fish have just been stressful and an annoyance i dont know why everybody loves zebra danios but they are taking up alot of my time, is there any way i can give them back to the store?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I feel you. A good question is posed by bettacrazy though. People use zebra danios because they are a hardy fish that can usually withstand the cycle of a tank and a lot of people don't care if they die in the process because they are cheap.

However, I hate danios. I bought a school of 10+ for my 125 planted and they terrorized EVERYTHING. They fought with all of my different tetras, each other, and just had a horrible attitude. I mean these fish picked at the snails and even the oto cats. I've never come across a species like this. Eventually there was so much fighting among themselves that they killed each other. I have one left and he just sits in the corner by himself and leaves everyone alone now. He is the highlander.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i think they are just awful and that tank i put them in was half cycled i knew it would be cruel to move them after just using them to cycle one tank but it would be more cruel to let them stress the daylight out of my other fish

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I loved my danios! I had zebras, leopards, golds, & blues along with a bunch of glo fish and they chased each other around but never harrassed anyone. I have heard them described as acting like little kids at recess, and I agree with that. They do need alot of space to swim around tho.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
I feel you. A good question is posed by bettacrazy though. People use zebra danios because they are a hardy fish that can usually withstand the cycle of a tank and a lot of people don't care if they die in the process because they are cheap.

However, I hate danios. I bought a school of 10+ for my 125 planted and they terrorized EVERYTHING. They fought with all of my different tetras, each other, and just had a horrible attitude. I mean these fish picked at the snails and even the oto cats. I've never come across a species like this. Eventually there was so much fighting among themselves that they killed each other. I have one left and he just sits in the corner by himself and leaves everyone alone now. He is the highlander.
store bought adult zebra danio do have aggressive behavior, they were raised in their species only tank.
My first generation of adult(store bought) zebra danio did have trouble behavior but not the 2nd generation, and after. Now the zebra danio in the fish tank is the 6th generation. really peaceful and school with all other fish when the day light just turn on, for about 10 minutes, then go for their own business(separate in their own school)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Weird! I never would have guessed that they can be aggressive tankmates! Mine have always been peaceful. I've kept a school of 8 in my 46 gallon and they keep to themselves. Swim close to the surface, mostly. They are very fast, though...I could see how they could exhaust other fish...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Use feeder goldfish to cycle your tank. They last longer than feeder minnows and are more resilient than most fish, contrary to popular belief.

Ps most schooling fish can get aggressive if they don't have a big enough school.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.