The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 20 gal Metaframe type metal framed tank and stand(its not an actual metaframe as the sides are not tapered and the bottom is made of glass). The glass looks to be in good condition. It is currently held in with what seems to be a white gooey paste-like substance. The plan is to remove the white goo and reseal the inside seams of the glass w/ black silicone. I'm fairly sure that any solvent will be able to take the goo off the glass but I am worried about residue potentially affecting the livestock I'll eventually set the tank up with. Can anyone recommend a solvent/paint thinner type product that will remove the goo but won't leave a weird residue that will kill the fish? I do plan on thoroughly washing the tank after removing the currrent sealant.

-Charlie

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just saw your post. did you ever get the tank resealed? I wouldn't use solvents. I'm redoing a metaframe and a razor and caulk removing tool are working. I'm not taking the glass off but I'm getting as much out or the cracks and space between the glass as possible. I'm using a mask and latex gloves due to the lead in the putty that seals the tank. Maybe overkill but what the heck. Also keeping the debris cleaned up to keep the cats out of it.

If plenty of silicone is used I don't see and have never heard of any problems with resealed tanks of this type.

Patricia

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I purchased a genuine 20g metaframe chrome tank off craigslist a while back, and recently decided to use it as a shrimp tank. when I filled it with water, is had a small leak along a bottom seam. since it had it's original seam tar intact, and has never been resealed with silicon, I decided to try to fix it the old fashion way;

I lowered the tank into my bath tub, and filled the tank AND the tub with hot tap water. I let it sit like that for about 15 minutes. before draining the water, I gently turned and lifted the tank while buoyant, and drained all the water out. while the tank was still warm, I placed it on a table, lowered a 1500watt blow dryer into it while running on High, and covered the top of the tank with a board to seal in the heat. I left it running for 15 minutes with the dryer a foot away but pointed to the area of the seam leak.

I then removed the dryer and the board, and immediately filled the tank with luke warm tap water so the tank glass would not sweat, also then the glass would push out on the frame while the tar was still soft. the tank has been sitting for over a day now, and the exterior is now bone dry. I'm just so glad I was able to maintain the authenticity of this 40 year old tank, and still get to enjoy it's usefulness.

IMHO metaframe tanks are especially useful for shrimp, crayfish and crabs because there is no silicone corner seal for them to climb up... it's a perfect glass to glass interior corner. also, with that slate bottom there is no need for gravel since inverts can comfortably get grip traction on that micro porous rock surface.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had one like that, too. A 55 gallon. I was 14 when someone gave it to me, along with some piston-driven air pumps. I wish I still had those things now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.