The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it good to refrigerate fertilizers? As tropica states to keep them under 25°C, its impossible for many like us who stay where weather is pretty warm 8months of the year.

However iv not seen anyone refrigerating it, also the shops here dont do that, and they say it has never caused a problem.

Im confused.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
You don't have to keep them in the fridge, though micronutrients can sometimes get moldy, which is why it's recommended to keep them in the fridge.

Shops likely don't bother, because they go through the bottles quite quickly, compared to a hobbyist (though some may have multiple tanks as well!)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't have to keep them in the fridge, though micronutrients can sometimes get moldy, which is why it's recommended to keep them in the fridge.

Shops likely don't bother, because they go through the bottles quite quickly, compared to a hobbyist (though some may have multiple tanks as well!)
Does mold affect the fertilizer?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Try adding 1 mg / 1 ml ascorbic acid (antioxidant) and 2 mg / 5 ml potassium sorbate (mold inhibitor) to the bottles and you may not need to refrigerate them.

Reactions: fishie777

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Does mold affect the fertilizer?

I don't think there has been any study done on this, but you'd imagine that the fungus that grows must be growing because it's using up some of the nutrients that is in the micro solution.

It doesn't mean it's not usable, just perhaps not as potent.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Micro nutrients are "chelated compounds" I usually add 2 ml of Glutaraldehyde (25%) to prevent mold and keep it in a dark place. these decompose under bright light and will precipitate. once this happens it is basically useless to plants.

You don't need to do anything with macronutrient solutions. They don't go "bad".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.