The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 120 gallon tank that I recently completely overhauled and it's now a planted tank. My current fish list is below. However, although I successfully raised multiple species of gourami previously in my old 55 gallon (3-spot, dwarf, and pearl varieties with australian rainbows and bala sharks for tank mates), I have taken to heart that my situation then is perhaps not always the case. So, I am wondering if a) having all females of multiple species would resolve potential aggression issues or b) if having all peaceful vs a mix of semi-aggressive & peaceful would help (for example, dwarf flame & powder gouramis and pearl gouramis together but none of the blue-family related ones). I have zero interest in breeding. I have floaters, a driftwood tree with moss "leaves" and a big cholla for small fish to swim through, so there are different areas they can claim.

15 cherry barbs
3 pairs gouramis (3-spot, pearl, dwarf species)
8 Australian rainbows (mixed varieties)
3 hillstream loaches (if I can find that many)
3 blue velvet shrimp
3 golden mystery snails

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Good luck finding female dwarf gourami- it's a breeding thing. You're typically only going to find males if you're using a box store or mass distributor. I'm hesitant to mix gourami species. It can be fine, most of the time it is, but I've seen a couple troubled gourami flip out and massacre tank mates. Use caution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck finding female dwarf gourami- it's a breeding thing. You're typically only going to find males if you're using a box store or mass distributor. I'm hesitant to mix gourami species. It can be fine, most of the time it is, but I've seen a couple troubled gourami flip out and massacre tank mates. Use caution.
Ok. I appreciate your feedback.

So, let me ask you think - I did find a seller who sells female gourami. If the tank mates are all female is it more likely to work? It's mostly the males who freak out at times, right?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
So, let me ask you think - I did find a seller who sells female gourami. If the tank mates are all female is it more likely to work? It's mostly the males who freak out at times, right?
Usually it's the males, but there's always a possibility. Good husbandry and observation is what makes most aggressive/ semi aggressive communities work... And a lot of ditherers to help disperse aggression.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am planning to have cherry barbs, Australian rainbows, loaches and shrimp. It's a 230 gallon with a fair number of plants, floater and hard scape areas to provide territories. I'm just getting 6 gourami.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Did not realize it was that large lol you're more than fine so long as you can block lines if sight. You have enough room in there for that by far. I don't know why but I was thinking 90 gallon.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have two female dwarf gouramis in a 55 with emperor tetras and some very boisterous glowlight danios. The gouramis get along well with each other and the rest of the inhabitants. They were not easy to get, took some serious searching to find a place online that seemed reputable and actually had them in stock. I had them in quarantine for almost 3 weeks and had to treat them for ich and parasites, but they have turned out to be great fish.

My males eventually went back to the fish store. As pretty as they were, it was not worth the chaos they caused with anything that had bright colors.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
In a tank that large I wouldn't think aggression between the gouramis would be an issue. I have kept them in much smaller tanks without problem. If anything I would say that 3-spot is the toughest and potentially most aggressive so maybe skip them? And if any aggression at all bothers you male cherry barbs can be very violent toward each other. They don't seem to do much harm to each other but it can be a bit unnerving to watch. But again maybe in a tank this size they will be fine.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem- maybe a few territory squabbles at first while they settle in. It can be intense but a long as you have enough territory spots with lines of sight blocked things should work their way out. Just keep an eye out and have a back up plan in case you have a delinquent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have two female dwarf gouramis in a 55 with emperor tetras and some very boisterous glowlight danios. The gouramis get along well with each other and the rest of the inhabitants. They were not easy to get, took some serious searching to find a place online that seemed reputable and actually had them in stock. I had them in quarantine for almost 3 weeks and had to treat them for ich and parasites, but they have turned out to be great fish.

My males eventually went back to the fish store. As pretty as they were, it was not worth the chaos they caused with anything that had bright colors.
Would you mind telling me which online store you used?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Reactions: chrystalheart
1 - 14 of 14 Posts