The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went from saltwater to freshwater and I have a few lighting fixtures lying around. I can install freshwater bulbs in them, my tank will be bare bottom but I just thought the blue tint would look better.

The problem is if I want some plants (mainly for absorbing the nitrate), are the reef lightning going to work? (10,000k and blue). I dont need any fast growth, I just want to keep my nitrate down so its safe for my fish.

the other part is I really want to use my reef lighting cuz it looks better in my tank.

any suggestions? thx

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't have the charts handy, but from what I understand, 10k lights emit a spectrum of light that doesn't overlap well with the overall absorption spectrum of plants. They take in more red than blue from what I remember of biology. That said, if your fixtures have enough of the proper lighting for the plants, an actinic bulb might be ok to keep. Others will be more knowledgeable about whether those bulbs will help algae enough to warrant not using them.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you like the blue tint and also want the plant to maintain growth, keep the actinics, just switch out the the 10,000K and put in a daylight. Hope the color is to your likings. Blue is for chlorophyll cell to grow big(muscle) and red for maturity(cell mutilplication-hence richness in color)

I tested many bulbs with my nano/picos. I can keep them in just 12,000K too. When I use 10,000K there is slightly more aglae on the glass, when I use 4000K, there are even more algae and definitely too yellow. I did try blue ALONE, the plant white out and wither-may be the light I put there is too strong and burn them or of other reasons. I will mix a red in next time to test again, then I can conclude what's going on. So basically if you are not growing light demanding plants, any light under 12,000K should be good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a coralife light in my 90 gallon (though not planted), with 2x 21" 65 watt 10,000k daylights, and 2x 65 watt actinic..

and I spend more time cleaning algae than looking at my fahaka through clear glass..

..and its only on 6 hours a day.
really? what kind of algae?i suppose every tank will have some algae attached to the glass.

so what is your point, what bulbs should you use then?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
what is ur level your trying to keep ur nitrates at? most of us are tryin to keep our levels up for the plants not down *but not going super high lvls* i would be more worried about having to much light with no co2? as it wasnt mentioned, pick what ever kelvin rating is pleasant to u your plants will do fine, what is your lighting that your looking to use ? t5 cfl t8 mh? an watt? as it would give better advice to you if it should work or just to much light.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what is ur level your trying to keep ur nitrates at? most of us are tryin to keep our levels up for the plants not down *but not going super high lvls* i would be more worried about having to much light with no co2? as it wasnt mentioned, pick what ever kelvin rating is pleasant to u your plants will do fine, what is your lighting that your looking to use ? t5 cfl t8 mh? an watt? as it would give better advice to you if it should work or just to much light.
2x24W t5ho

I dont want any plants, but i need them to suck my the nitrate, that's why. however how would you deal with ammonia > nitrite > nitrate the final product is going to stay in the water unless you do frequent water changes. my tank is a 30G i dont want to dump 10 gal each time and top off with another 10gal. It's too troublesome

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.